Every day, thousands of passionate developers come up with new startup ideas but lack the branding know-how to make them thrive. If you count yourself among them, Lean Branding is here to help.
This practical toolkit helps you build your own robust, dynamic brands that generate conversion. You’ll find over 100 DIY branding tactics and inspiring case studies, and step-by-step instructions for building and measuring 25 essential brand strategy ingredients, from logo design to demo-day pitches, using The Lean Startup methodology’s Build-Measure-Learn loop.
- Learn exactly what a brand is—and what it isn’t
- Build a minimal set of brand ingredients that are viable in the marketplace: brand story, brand symbols, and brand strategy
- Measure your brand ingredients by using meaningful metrics to see if they meet your conversion goals
- Pivot your brand ingredients in new directions based on what you’ve learned—by optimizing rather than trashing
- Focus specifically on brand story, symbols, or strategy by following the Build-Measure-Learn chapters that apply
Table of contents
- Praise for Lean Branding
- 1. What Is a Brand?
2. What a Brand Isn’t
- Why These Lies Are Dangerous
Misconceptions About Brands
- Brands Are Logos
- Brands Are Superficial
- Marketing People Manage My Brand
- I Control My Brand
- If the Product Is Good, It Will Naturally Attract Customers
- Branding Only Builds Awareness
- I’d Rather Invest in Product Quality
- I Can’t Measure It, I Can’t Manage It
3. Brand Story
- Forget Everything You’ve Heard About Brand Stories
- First Things First: What’s Your Name Again?
Gather Your Brand Ingredients
- Positioning: How Are You Useful to Me?
- Promise: What Do You Promise to Do for Me?
- Personas: What Do I Need or Want from You?
- Personality: Who Are You?
- Product: What Will You Offer over Time?
- Pricing: How Much Is Your Solution Worth?
- Bringing It All Together: Your Brand Storyboard
- 4. Brand Symbols
5. Brand Strategy
- Social Media Marketing
- Landing Pages
- Search Engine Optimization
- Content Marketing: Blogging
- Paid Advertising
- Email List
- Review Systems
- Media Relations
- Point-of-Purchase Optimization
- 3. Brand Story
6. Brand Traction
- Designing Tests
- Split Testing: Tell Me Why
- Experiment Phobia
- Landing Page: How to Test
- Landing Page: What to Test
- Why and How to Test Everything Else
- Social Media Marketing: How to Test
- Social Media Marketing: What to Test
- Search Engine Optimization: How to Measure
- Search Engine Optimization: What to Test
- Paid Advertising: How to Measure
- Paid Advertising: What to Test
- Blogging: How to Measure
- Blogging: What to Test
- Email Marketing: How to Measure
- Email Marketing: What to Test
- Marketing Video: How to Measure
- Marketing Video: What to Test
- Press Release: How to Measure
- Press Release: What to Test
- Point-of-Purchase Optimization: How to Measure
- Point-of-Purchase Optimization: What to Test
- Review Systems: How to Measure
- Brand Partnerships: How to Measure
7. Brand Resonance
- Defining Resonance
- Resonance: Achieving Brand-Market Fit
- Measuring Your Brand’s Name
- Measuring Brand Positioning
- Measuring Brand Promise
- Measuring Personas
- Measuring Our Buyer Personas’ Demographic Profile
- Measuring Our Buyer Personas’ Psychographic Profile
- Measuring Our Brand Journey
- Measuring Brand Personality
- Measuring Pricing
- 8. Brand Identity
- 6. Brand Traction
- 9. Brand Rechannel
10. Brand Reposition
- Repositioning and the Power of Research
- Repositioning the Smart Way: Strengthening Consumer Learning
- You’ve Decided to Reshape Your Brand Story; Now What?
11. Brand Redesign
- Consistency: The Opportunity Cost
- Common Costs of Pivoting Visual Brand Identity
- Common Benefits of Pivoting Visual Brand Identity
- When Pivoting Visual Brand Identity Is a No-Brainer
- You’ve Decided to Redesign Your Brand Symbols; Now What?
- 12. Conclusion
- A. Glossary
- B. Credits and References
- About the Author
- Title: Lean Branding
- Release date: September 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449373023
You might also like
Managing the Design Process-Concept Development
This book illustrates the point where theory meets practice in the design studio environment.
FT Guide to Finance for Non-Financial Managers
Gives you the confidence to ask the right business questions, make the correct finance decisions and …
HTML & CSS: Design and Build Websites
A full-color introduction to the basics of HTML and CSS from the publishers of Wrox! Every …
Model Business Letters, Emails and Other Business Documents, 7th Edition
For anyone who wants to communicate effectively in business, this is your complete reference guide for …