Responding to a recent surge in interest and application, this book is the first to comprehensively address how Lean thinking and tools can be implemented in agriculture and agribusiness. This tactical guide breaks down barriers, clearly depicting how improvement techniques originally developed for factories can derive the same powerful results on farms.
Expert Lean farming consultants, Susanne Pejstrup and Vibeke Fladkjaer Nielsen, present these methods in a clear, easy-to-read style, accessible to farmers all over the world. Case studies from multiple farm types – including crops, pigs and dairy cattle – demonstrate how respect for people, continuous improvement, and visual management techniques can improve resilience and profitability on the farm. Richly illustrated, Lean in Agriculture appeals not only to farmers, but to farm workers, food processing companies, veterinarians, consultants and other stakeholders in the agribusiness sector.
- Translates Lean thinking into agricultural terms.
- Takes a people-centric approach to a Lean agricultural production system.
- Serves as an implementation guide , with clear writing and concise, easy-to-follow instructions tailored to the agricultural sector.
- Illustrates agriculture-specific Lean implementation with a wide range of case studies and memorable images.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 What is Lean?
- Chapter 2 This is How Lean Can be Used in Agriculture
- Chapter 3 The Five Lean Principles
- Chapter 4 The Eight Wastes of Lean
Chapter 5 Involve Your Employees
- 5.1 Involve Your Employees
- 5.1.1 Traditional, Modern Management and Lean Management
- 5.1.2 Motivation Requires Trust and Respect
- 5.1.3 Appreciative Leadership
- 5.1.4 Change Management
- 5.1.5 Communication and Questioning Technique
- 5.1.6 Use of Questions in Lean Work
- 5.1.7 Talking Stick
- 5.1.8 Catchball
- 5.1.9 Communication with Sticky Notes
- 5.1.10 Five Whys
Chapter 6 That is How You Work with Goals
- 6.1 That is How You Work with Goals
- 6.1.1 The Burning Platform
- 6.1.2 What is a Burning Platform?
- 6.2 What is a Good Goal?
- 6.2.1 Involve Your Employees
- 6.3 Breaking Down of Goals
- 6.3.1 Performance Goals and Effort Goals
- 6.4 Goal Management
- 6.4.1 Visible Goal Management
- 6.4.2 Action Plans
- 6.4.3 Examples of Content in Action Plans
- 6.4.4 Visible Action Plans
- Chapter 7 Tools
- Chapter 8 How to Implement Lean at Your Farm
- Chapter 9 Examples of Lean
- Chapter 10 Dictionary
- Title: Lean in Agriculture
- Release date: October 2018
- Publisher(s): Productivity Press
- ISBN: 9780429455001
You might also like
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …
Operations Management: Processes and Supply Chains, 12th Edition
Practical, easy to read text with a managerial approach to operations management provides students with a …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Lean For Dummies, 2nd Edition
Take charge and engage your enterprise in a Lean transformation Have you thought about using Lean …