Video descriptionThis book took me from someone interested in Docker to someone using it effectively in several projects.
Mark Elston, Advantest America
Go from zero to production readiness with Docker in 22 bite-sized lessons! Learn Docker in a Month of Lunches is an accessible task-focused guide to Docker on Linux, Windows, or Mac systems. In it, you’ll learn practical Docker skills to help you tackle the challenges of modern IT, from cloud migration and microservices to handling legacy systems. There’s no excessive theory or niche-use cases—just a quick-and-easy guide to the essentials of Docker you’ll use every day.
about the technology
The idea behind Docker is simple: package applications in lightweight virtual containers that can be easily installed. The results of this simple idea are huge! Docker makes it possible to manage applications without creating custom infrastructures. Free, open source, and battle-tested, Docker has quickly become must-know technology for developers and administrators.
about the book
Learn Docker in a Month of Lunches introduces Docker concepts through a series of brief hands-on lessons. Following a learning path perfected by author Elton Stoneman, you’ll run containers by chapter 2 and package applications by chapter 3. Each lesson teaches a practical skill you can practice on Windows, macOS, and Linux systems. By the end of the month you’ll know how to containerize and run any kind of application with Docker.
- Package applications to run in containers
- Put containers into production
- Build optimized Docker images
- Run containerized apps at scale
about the audience
For IT professionals. No previous Docker experience required.
about the author
Elton Stoneman is a consultant, a former architect at Docker, a Microsoft MVP, and a Pluralsight author.A well-written and cogent approach to learning and implementing containerized applications with Docker.
Philip Taffet, SOHOsoft
This is a must-have resource for anyone wanting to come to grips with Docker—from novice to expert, there’s something for everyone.
Kevin Orr, Sumus Solutions
I recommend anyone serious about learning Docker begin with this book.
Marcus Brown, Tradewind Energy
NARRATED BY JULIE BRIERLEY
Table of contents
- Part 1. Understanding Docker containers and images
- Chapter 1. Before you begin
- Chapter 2. Understanding Docker and running Hello World
- Chapter 3. Building your own Docker images
- Chapter 4. Packaging applications from source code into Docker Images
- Chapter 5. Sharing images with Docker Hub and other registries
- Chapter 6. Using Docker volumes for persistent storage
- Part 2. Running distributed applications in containers
- Chapter 7. Running multi-container apps with Docker Compose
- Chapter 8. Supporting reliability with health checks and dependency checks
- Chapter 9. Adding observability with containerized monitoring
- Chapter 10. Running multiple environments with Docker Compose
- Chapter 11. Building and testing applications with Docker and Docker Compose
- Part 3. Running at scale with a container orchestrator
- Chapter 12. Understanding orchestration: Docker Swarm and Kubernetes
- Chapter 13. Deploying distributed applications as stacks in Docker Swarm
- Chapter 14. Automating releases with upgrades and rollbacks
- Chapter 15. Configuring Docker for secure remote access and CI/CD
- Chapter 16. Building Docker images that run anywhere: Linux, Windows, Intel, and Arm
- Part 4. Getting your containers ready for production
- Chapter 17. Optimizing your Docker images for size, speed, and security
- Chapter 18. Application configuration management in containers
- Chapter 19. Writing and managing application logs with Docker
- Chapter 20. Controlling HTTP traffic to containers with a reverse proxy
- Chapter 21. Asynchronous communication with a message queue
- Chapter 22. Never the end
- Title: Learn Docker in a Month of Lunches
- Release date: June 2020
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: None
You might also like
Learn Docker in a Month of Lunches
Go from zero to production readiness with Docker in 22 bite-sized lessons! Learn Docker in a …
Learn Kubernetes in a Month of Lunches
In Learn Kubernetes in a Month of Lunches you'll go from "what's a Pod?" to automatically …
Learn Kubernetes in a Month of Lunches
A must-have resource. I thoroughly recommend it! Iain Campbell, Tango Telecom In Learn Kubernetes in a …
Learn Docker in a Month of Lunches video edition
This book took me from someone interested in Docker to someone using it effectively in several …