Build powerful and effective projects using Git Version Control Systems
About This Video
- Learn how to create, contribute to, and collaborate on software projects using Git
- Understand its fundamental features, and find out what sets it apart from other Version Control Systems
- Become a valued contributor to any project with Git usage and etiquette guidelines that other developers will thank you for
Git Version Control Systems (VCS) changes your approach to modern software engineering. Using Git, you can easily track the history of file and code changes, deliver new versions of software without relying on any continuous delivery mechanisms, and protect your code from any mistakes made while programming.
In this course, we’ll teach you the basics of using Git and explain how it works. To begin with, we’ll show you how to install Git and effectively use your computer’s terminal or command line to navigate the file system, and create and edit files. Then we’ll cover all the commonly used commands in Git that make up the vast majority of any Software Engineer’s workflow.
Moving on, we’ll explain Git’s branching workflow, why it’s such a useful feature, and how to use it in your projects. Once you’ve learned all this, we’ll discuss some advanced Git workflow techniques that will make you a valued contributor and collaborator on any project. You’ll be able to create your own Git repositories, or clone and contribute to existing ones. This will allow you to track the changes to sets of files over time, recover data you might lose, and collaborate with others on projects.
You’ll have a profound understanding of Git’s branching workflow, and how to use it in the best possible way in your projects.
By the end, you’ll be familiar with using Git and use VCS to handle large projects easily and make well-crafted contributions to your own or others’ projects.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Version Control and the Terminal
Chapter 2 : Learning the Basics of Git
- Configuring and Initializing a Repository 00:01:58
- Tracking Files 00:05:51
- Viewing Changes 00:02:34
- Committing Your Changes 00:03:52
- Setup Git Ignore Files 00:04:02
- Browsing Project History 00:05:35
- Undoing Mistakes 00:02:56
- Cloning Repositories 00:02:57
- Using Remote Repositories 00:07:49
- Using Tags in Git 00:04:22
- Chapter 3 : Branches and Workflows
- Chapter 4 : Advanced Git Workflow
- Title: Learn Git in 3 Hours
- Release date: August 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781789348231