14. Scoring and Collisions
Scores are key to most games, giving the players feedback on how well they are playing the game and a measurement they can strive to improve.
Scoring systems can be very complicated or very simple. A simple scoring system should at least meet these needs:
• Keep track of the current score as a game is being played
• Record some number of highest scores
• Display the current score to the player
• Display the list of highest scores
More complicated scoring systems could include these functions:
• Keep track of scores for players on other (connected) clients, perhaps with ranking systems and tournament play.
• Keep track of scores for multiple players on a single device.
• Record the time and date of high scores.
• Provide ...