2. Kicking the Tires: Setting Up Your Development Environment
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
Before you can ride a bike you need to get familiar with the equipment. With Android development, that equipment does not come preassembled like your bicycle: you must install several tools. Here is the list of tools you need to install for Android development:
• Java Development Kit (JDK) and Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
• Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
• Android Software Development Kit (SDK).
• Android Developer Tools (ADT).
• Most common Android SDKs.
At the end of this chapter there is a Mac OSX version of the same installation steps that appear in the next section. ...