Shell scripts have certain advantages over compiler-based programs, such as C or C++ language. However, shell scripting has certain limitations as well.
The following are the advantages:
- Scripts are easy to write
- Scripts are quick to start and easy for debugging
- They save time in development
- Tasks of administration are automated
- No additional setup or tools are required for developing or testing shell scripts
The following are the limitations of shell scripts:
- Every line in shell script creates a new process in the operating system. When we execute the compiled program, such as a C program, it runs as a single process for the complete program.
- Since every command creates a new process, shell scripts are slow compared ...