Chapter 2. Controlling Your Minions with Remote Execution
In the last chapter, we installed our Salt minion and Salt master and learned how to send our first commands. In this chapter, we are going to expand upon what we learned there. We will learn:
- How a remote execution command is structured
- How to target minions in a variety of different ways
- Grains and how they are useful for remote execution
- The basic relationship between minion and master
- Practical examples of how you can use remote execution to make managing your servers easier
Let's get started!
The structure of a remote execution command
If you remember, our basic remote execution command looks like this:
# sudo salt '*' test.ping
The basic Salt remote execution command is made ...