Almost 3 Hours of Video Instruction
Your complete SQL video course: Master hands-on, real-world skills for working with data, tables, queries, and much more!
In Learning SQL LiveLessons Ben Forta, the world’s favorite SQL teacher, helps you master the core real-world skills you need to succeed with SQL. Drawing on his experience helping thousands of developers and other IT pros at all levels, Forta guides you from the absolute basics all the way to advanced queries, joins, and beyond. One step at a time, you'll learn how to retrieve data with SELECT; sort, filter, group, and summarize data; create calculated fields; manipulate data with string and date functions; build queries and subqueries; create basic and advanced table joins; combine queries with UNION; sort your queries; insert, update, and delete data; and even discover what you can do with triggers and stored procedures. Everything's organized into bite-sized, self-contained lessons, so you can learn key SQL skills quickly and easily.
What You Will Learn
- Retrieve data using the SQL SELECT statement
- Sort, filter, and manipulate data
- Create calculated fields
- Group and summarize data
- Work with subqueries and WHERE statements
- Use basic and advanced table joins
- Combine queries with UNION statements
- Insert, update, and delete data
- Get started with advanced SQL features
Who Should Take This Course
- Everyone who wants to master SQL to manage data, write queries, and/or build database applications with any modern relational database
- Professional and casual developers at all levels
- Basic experience using databases; no SQL experience necessary
Lesson 1: Introducing SQL
Review database basics such as tables, rows, columns, and keys; understand what relational databases are; choose a DBMS; and learn what SQL is and what it does.
Lesson 2: Retrieving Data
Work with SELECT, the most used SQL statement. Retrieve individual, multiple, or all columns; retrieve specific rows; and limit the data you retrieve. Master and refine some important SQL skills and best practices.
Lesson 3: Sorting Retrieved Data
Use SELECT ORDER BY, sort by one or multiple columns, and specify the direction of your sort.
Lesson 4: Filtering Data
Use SELECT WHERE and its clause operators, use BETWEEN to filter for a range of values, and use NULL to filter for no value.
Lesson 5: Advanced Data Filtering
Combine WHERE filters using AND and OR; correctly manage “order of evaluation”; use IN to filter by a defined set of matches; and negate clauses with NOT.
Lesson 6: Using Wildcard Filtering
Create wildcard filters with the LIKE keyword, and learn three wildcards you can use to search for any character combinations.
Lesson 7: Creating Calculated Fields
Use concatenation and aliases, and perform on-the-fly mathematical calculations using calculate fields and mathematical operators.
Lesson 8: Using Data Manipulation Functions
Manipulate data with string and date functions.
Lesson 9: Summarizing Data
Use the aggregate functions AVG, COUNT, MAX, MIN, and SUM to summarize data, totals, averages, and more.
Lesson 10: Grouping Data
Group data with the GROUP BY clause, and use the HAVING clause to filter by group rather than row.
Lesson 11: Working with Subqueries
Create powerful subqueries (queries passed to other queries) to filter rows in conjunction with WHERE and to return values to calculated fields.
Lesson 12: Joining Tables
Master and compare two ways to create simple joins with keys. Then, learn how to join multiple tables.
Lesson 13: Creating Advanced Joins
Use table aliases, self-joins, and outer joins, and combine joins with aggregate functions.
Lesson 14: Combining Queries
Use UNION to combine query result sets from multiple SELECT statements, include or exclude duplicate rows, and use ORDER BY to sort the queries you’ve combined.
Lesson 15: Inserting Data
Insert rows or retrieved data, avoid unsafe ways to use the INSERT statement, master best practices to prevent accidental data changes or deletion, and copy data to another table.
Lesson 16: Updating and Deleting Data
Update and delete table rows. Master UPDATE and DELETE best practices to make sure you don’t inadvertently change or delete data that should remain intact.
Lesson 17: Where to Go from Here
Discover what can be done with advanced features such as views, stored procedures, triggers, constraints, and transactions.
About LiveLessons Video Training
LiveLessons Video Training series publishes hundreds of hands-on, expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. This professional and personal technology video series features world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, IBM Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que. Topics include IT Certification, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, Home and Office Technologies, Business and Management, and more. View all LiveLessons on InformIT at http://www.informit.com/livelessons.
Table of contents
- Lesson 1: Introducing SQL
Lesson 2: Retrieving Data
- Learning Objectives 00:00:40
- 2.1 Use the SELECT statement 00:01:14
- 2.2 Retrieve individual columns 00:02:24
- 2.3 Retrieve multiple columns 00:01:11
- 2.4 Retrieve all columns 00:01:55
- 2.5 Retrieve distinct rows 00:01:06
- 2.6 Limit retrieved data 00:01:53
- 2.7 Refine your SQL skills 00:05:25
- Summary 00:00:50
- Lesson 3: Sorting Retrieved Data
- Lesson 4: Filtering Data
- Lesson 5: Advanced Data Filtering
- Lesson 6: Using Wildcard Filtering
- Lesson 7: Creating Calculated Fields
- Lesson 8: Using Data Manipulation Functions
- Lesson 9: Summarizing Data
- Lesson 10: Grouping Data
- Lesson 11: Working with Subqueries
- Lesson 12: Joining Tables
- Lesson 13: Creating Advanced Joins
- Lesson 14: Combining Queries
- Lesson 15: Inserting Data
- Lesson 16: Updating and Deleting Data
- Lesson 17: Where to Go from Here
- Learning SQL LiveLessons: Summary 00:00:56
- Title: Learning SQL
- Release date: July 2015
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 0134193709
You might also like
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Introduction to Python
Intrigued by Python? Learn how to get started with this popular language, whether you’re new to …
Java 8 Fundamentals: Modern Java Development with Lambdas, Streams, and Introducing Java 9’s JShell and the Java Platform Module System (JPMS)
54+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Java™ SE 7 …