Until recently, many people thought big data was a passing fad. "Data science" was an enigmatic term. Today, big data is taken seriously, and data science is considered downright sexy. With this anthology of reports from award-winning journalist Mike Barlow, you’ll appreciate how data science is fundamentally altering our world, for better and for worse.
Barlow paints a picture of the emerging data space in broad strokes. From new techniques and tools to the use of data for social good, you’ll find out how far data science reaches.
With this anthology, you’ll learn how:
- Analysts can now get results from their data queries in near real time
- Indie manufacturers are blurring the lines between hardware and software
- Companies try to balance their desire for rapid innovation with the need to tighten data security
- Advanced analytics and low-cost sensors are transforming equipment maintenance from a cost center to a profit center
- CIOs have gradually evolved from order takers to business innovators
- New analytics tools let businesses go beyond data analysis and straight to decision-making
Mike Barlow is an award-winning journalist, author, and communications strategy consultant. Since launching his own firm, Cumulus Partners, he has represented major organizations in a number of industries.
Table of contents
- Editor’s Note
- 1. The Culture of Big Data Analytics
- 2. Data and Social Good
- 3. Will Big Data Make IT Infrastructure Sexy Again?
- 4. When Hardware Meets Software
- 5. Real-Time Big Data Analytics
- 6. Big Data and the Evolving Role of the CIO
- 7. Building Functional Teams for the IoT Economy
- 8. Predictive Maintenance: A World of Zero Unplanned Downtime
- 9. Can Data Security and Rapid Business Innovation Coexist?
- 10. The Last Mile of Analytics: Making the Leap from Platforms to Tools
- Title: Learning to Love Data Science
- Release date: November 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491936580
You might also like
Predictive maintenance isn't a new idea. For decades, people in heavy industry have dreamt of eliminating …
Fundamentals of Data Visualization
Effective visualization is the best way to communicate information from the increasingly large and complex datasets …
Practical Statistics for Data Scientists, 2nd Edition
Statistical methods are a key part of data science, yet few data scientists have formal statistical …
Think Stats, 2nd Edition
If you know how to program, you have the skills to turn data into knowledge, using …