Until recently, many people thought big data was a passing fad. "Data science" was an enigmatic term. Today, big data is taken seriously, and data science is considered downright sexy. With this anthology of reports from award-winning journalist Mike Barlow, you’ll appreciate how data science is fundamentally altering our world, for better and for worse.
Barlow paints a picture of the emerging data space in broad strokes. From new techniques and tools to the use of data for social good, you’ll find out how far data science reaches.
With this anthology, you’ll learn how:
- Analysts can now get results from their data queries in near real time
- Indie manufacturers are blurring the lines between hardware and software
- Companies try to balance their desire for rapid innovation with the need to tighten data security
- Advanced analytics and low-cost sensors are transforming equipment maintenance from a cost center to a profit center
- CIOs have gradually evolved from order takers to business innovators
- New analytics tools let businesses go beyond data analysis and straight to decision-making
Mike Barlow is an award-winning journalist, author, and communications strategy consultant. Since launching his own firm, Cumulus Partners, he has represented major organizations in a number of industries.
Table of contents
- Editor’s Note
- 1. The Culture of Big Data Analytics
- 2. Data and Social Good
- 3. Will Big Data Make IT Infrastructure Sexy Again?
- 4. When Hardware Meets Software
- 5. Real-Time Big Data Analytics
- 6. Big Data and the Evolving Role of the CIO
- 7. Building Functional Teams for the IoT Economy
- 8. Predictive Maintenance: A World of Zero Unplanned Downtime
- 9. Can Data Security and Rapid Business Innovation Coexist?
- 10. The Last Mile of Analytics: Making the Leap from Platforms to Tools
- Title: Learning to Love Data Science
- Release date: November 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491936580
You might also like
Analytical Skills for AI and Data Science
While several market-leading companies have successfully transformed their business models by following data- and AI-driven paths, …
Doing Data Science
Now that people are aware that data can make the difference in an election or a …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …