Video DescriptionIn just 2.5 hours of focused video tutorials, Advanced Lessons in Typography: Learn by Video helps graphic designers master the creation of a wide spectrum of brilliantly effective contemporary typographic solutions. Jim Krause covers creative techniques for all stages of typography design, from initial brainstorming and sketching to development and fine-tuning. He walks through projects including letterform customization, decorative character add-ons, word-graphic design, logotypes, custom typeface development, the creation of hand-drawn typographic components, and the aesthetic fine-tuning of text areas within layouts. Throughout, Krause demonstrates the use of appropriate tools, ranging from digital software and hardware to pencils, pens, brushes, ink, paint, sketch pads, and tracing paper. Krause's engaging and enlightening lessons draw on his immense experience instructing designers in more than two dozen books and video products. Whether you're a new or intermediate-level graphic designer, Advanced Lessons in Typography: Learn by Video will empower you to create unique, contemporary typographic solutions for logos, layouts, illustrations, and much more. Download Lesson Files https://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/digital/learn_by_video/9780134096629/lesson_files.zip
Table of Contents
- Typographic characters are incredible works of art. Recognizing the exquisite subtleties of well-designed letters—and learning the language of type—improves our awareness, appreciation, and understanding of all things typographic.
- Stand-alone letters have many uses in design. Learning to choose and modify typographic characters for stand-alone presentations is useful not only for the creation of things such as monograms and drop caps, it also teaches lessons that you can apply when working with some—or all—of the letters contained in words appearing in logos and headlines.
- Fundamental typographic know-how is essential when it comes to properly presenting words within logos and headlines. This chapter focuses on critical aspects of font choice, letterspacing, legibility, and ligatures.
- This chapter includes strategies for creating eye-catching and conceptually targeted logos and headlines.
- In the world of design, type very often coexists with imagery. This chapter deals with ways of adding decor, illustrations, and photos around, within, and beneath words.
This chapter discusses typographic practices that help ensure your layouts’ type looks good and functions clearly when its put before the eyes of your target audience.
- Prioritizing and Ensuring Text Legibility 00:07:31
- Building Spaces for Type with Columns and Grids 00:03:30
- Helping text fit 00:06:39
- Nine Things You Should Avoid When Presenting Text in Layouts 00:06:27
- Wrapping Up 00:04:51
- Title: Lessons in Typography Learn By Video
- Release date: November 2015
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780134096469