5+ Hours of Video Instruction
The Linux Command Line Interface (CLI) is a powerful tool for users, developers, and administrators. Quick changes to a system with no Graphical Interface such as many servers or some recovery tasks, can be accomplished with command line tools. Repetitive tasks such as file management and local access control changes can be dome more efficiently from the command line than through a point and click interface. Learning to use the Linux CLI also prepares for full automation with scripting tools.
Linux Command Line Complete Video Course introduces common utilities used at the Linux command line. While learning commands for specific tasks, you will obtain greater confidence navigating the Linux filesystem, understand how to locate and edit files, use Bash shell features for efficiency and automation, and be able to use built-in help for further exploration.
About the Instructor
Susan Lauber has over 20 years experience in Information Systems from data analyst to network operating systems support to curriculum design. She currently focuses on training and consulting in just about anything OpenSource and holds all positions in her own company, Lauber System Solutions, Inc. Susan has a Masters in Information Science from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and is a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) and a Certified Technical Trainer (CTT). She is an independent instructor for both Cloudera, Inc. and Red Hat, Inc. holding an alphabet of certifications in those products including CCAH, CCSHB, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCVA, RHCE, and RHCX. She is also a Fedora Ambassador and contributes to OpenSource projects mostly by way of documentation and QA processes.
What You Will Learn
- Obtain greater confidence navigating the Linux filesystem.
- Be able to locate and edit files from the Linux command line.
- Use Bash shell features for efficiency and automation.
- Be able to use built in help for further exploration.
Who Should Take This Course
- New users of the Linux command line.
- System administrators with limited command line experience or developers more comfortable with an IDE.
- General System Administration experience, preferably with Linux System Administration experience, but not required.
- An understanding of files versus directories and why access control is important.
About LiveLessons Video Training
LiveLessons Video Training series publishes hundreds of hands-on, expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. This professional and personal technology video series features world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, IBM Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que. Topics include: IT Certification, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, Home and Office Technologies, Business and Management, and more. View all LiveLessons on InformIT at: http://www.informit.com/livelessons
Table of contents
Lesson 1: Accessing the Linux Command Line Interface
- Learning objectives
- 1.1 Understand the uses of the Linux command line interface
- 1.2 Access the command line locally: Text login
- 1.3 Access the command line locally: GNOME menus (CentOS)
- 1.4 Access the command line locally: GNOME Shell (Fedora)
- 1.5 Access the command line locally: KDE (Kubuntu)
- 1.6 Access the command line remotely: ssh command (Linux or Mac OSX)
- 1.7 Access the command line remotely: Graphical program
- 1.8 Run commands from the bash shell
- 1.9 Bash tip: Recall previous commands with history shortcuts
- Lesson 2: Getting Help Within the System
- Lesson 3: Manipulating Files
- Lesson 4: Managing a Large Number of Files
- Lesson 5: Editing Files from the Command Line
- Lesson 6: Access Control: Basic File Permissions
- Lesson 7: Locating Files on the System
- Lesson 8: Process Management
- Lesson 9: Basic bash Shell Configuration
- Title: Linux Command Line
- Release date: April 2016
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 0134445538
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Linux Command Line for Beginners
In this Linux Command Line for Beginners training course, expert author Geoff Allen will teach you …
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Complete Video Course
7 Hours of Video Instruction Seven hours of video instruction covering the fundamentals of cloud computing; …
Beginning Linux System Administration
Learn Linux administration fundamentals in just 3 hours! Description Learn solid fundamental Linux operating system skills …