Backing up users' e-mail
We will be using dump to backup the whole partition containing our mailboxes. The dump command copies files on a file system to a specified disk, tape, or other media.
Some of the reasons for using it are:
- It is incredibly fast (in my tests, the network is the bottleneck)
- It is simple (one command suffices)
- It can run unattended (for example, as
- It does not need any additional software to be installed
- It does not need a GUI
- It is very mature having been around since AT&T UNIX Version 6, circa 1975
restore command performs the opposite of
dump. A backup of a file system taken using
dump can be restored as the complete file system or you can selectively restore certain files or directories.
We recommend ...