12+ Hours of Video Instruction
13 hours of video instruction providing hands-on labs to teach and test your troubleshooting capabilities, which align with the Red Hat Certified Architect Troubleshooting certification (Exam 342).
Sometimes Linux just doesn't do what it needs to be doing and the only solution is to troubleshoot the issues. In this course, you'll learn how to analyze Linux and how to troubleshoot different types of problems. This course provides a complete overview of all that is needed to troubleshoot Linux servers and desktops from a practical perspective; and as the best way to learn is by doing, you will also get access to lab scenarios that use unique scripts that implement a specific problem on your test environment, so you can get experience fixing it yourself. The course starts with a generic introduction to analyzing Linux and the tools that are provided to do so. Next, it will discuss different parts of the Linux operating system and troubles that might occur in that specific area. As such, it will be very useful to users of any Linux distributions, as well as users preparing for the Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA) datacenter certification. For those who are preparing for Red Hat Exam 342, this course provides knowledge for the key concepts on the test along with a sample exam for you to test your skills.
- Scripts so you can troubleshoot the scenarios in the course. Please download the scripts here.
- A scenario-based practice exam to help you prepare for the Red Hat exam
- End-of-lesson quizzes
Troubleshooting Boot Issues
Managing Hardware Issues
Managing Storage Issues
Managing Software Issues
Managing Application Issues
Managing Security Issues
Troubleshooting Kernel Issues
Fixing Performance Problems
About the Instructor
Sander van Vugt is an independent Linux trainer, author and consultant living in the Netherlands. Sander has written numerous books about different Linux related topics, and many articles for Linux publications around the world. Sander has been teaching Red Hat, SUSE, and LPI Linux classes since 1994. As a consultant, he is specialized in Linux High Availability solutions and Performance Optimization. More information about Sander is on his website at www.sandervanvugt.com.
Intermediate-to-experienced Linux administrators; have Linux knowledge at the level of Red Hat RHCSA, Linux Foundation LFCS, Linux +, or LPIC 1.
Learn How To
- Analyze Linux
- How to troubleshoot different types of problems in Linux
- How to troubleshoot boot and hardware-related issues
- How to troubleshoot software-related issues
- How to troubleshoot kernel-related issues
- Approach the Red Hat Ex342
Who Should Take This Course
The target audience for this course consists of IT Staff that needs to troubleshoot Linux systems. A secondary audience consists of candidates for the Red Hat Certified Architect Troubleshooting exam (exam 342). This course will also be a perfect fit for a Red Hat Certified Architect learning path, together with my OpenStack Certification, Linux High Availability, Linux Performance, and Linux Security video courses.
Have Linux knowledge at the level of Red Hat RHCSA, Linux Foundation LFCS, Linux +, or LPIC 1.
In Lesson 1, Troubleshooting Basics, troubleshooting in general will be discussed, specifically troubleshooting methodology.
Lesson 2, Systems Monitoring, explains how to find out what's happening in the Linux system. Logging and auditing, as well as some other solutions that can be used to track what's happening will be discussed.
In Lesson 3, Troubleshooting Boot Issues, investigating problems that are related to the boot procedure is the primary focus. The boot procedure will be summarized and the different troubleshooting modes are discussed. The differences between BIOS- and UEFI-based systems, and how that is going to affect troubleshooting efforts will be covered. Lastly, systemd, and how to reset the root password will be explained.
Lesson 4, Managing Hardware Issues, will explore hardware management. Learning how drivers and kernel modules are involved in addressing hardware the right way, as well as the options there are in case the valid drivers are not available are covered. How hardware is dealt with in a KVM environment is also explained.
In Lesson 5, Managing Storage Issues, the storage stack, and the different things that can go wrong while dealing with storage, will be explored. Partitions, file systems, Logical Volumes, LUKS-encrypted devices, as well as iSCSI drivers, are included. Lastly, dealing with issues in a virtualized environment is discussed.
Lesson 6, Troubleshooting Networking, will have a look at networking and its different features. Driver issues, DNS issues, and connectivity issues will be covered, as well as how to analyze network traffic and check for service availability. Lastly, analyzing how to deal with firewalling issues will be discussed.
In Lesson 7, Managing Software Issues, software packages and the things that you can do if problems arise in that area will be covered. Dealing with dependency issues, corrupted package databases, and how to identify changed files are explained.
Lesson 8, Managing Application Issues, will explain how a typical application stack is organized, and will discuss what can go wrong with libraries that are used by applications. Application debugging and memory leaks will also be covered.
In Lesson 9, Managing Security Issues, an overview of different security-related items in Linux will be discussed, including possible issues with Linux permissions, PAM, SELinux, as well as authentication and remote login issues.
Lesson 10, Troubleshooting Kernel Issues, covers how to configure your kernel to log crash dumps, and an introduction to kernel debugging using strace will be provided.
In Lesson 11, Fixing Performance Problems, learning how to analyze different aspects of Linux performance, and how to identify critical performance bottlenecks will be the primary focus.
Lesson 12, Sample Exam, is exactly as it sounds. In this lesson your knowledge will be tested through a series of scenarios. If you succeed in fixing all solutions, you're probably ready to take Red Hat exam342
About Pearson Video Training
Pearson publishes expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. These professional and personal technology videos feature world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que Topics include: IT Certification, Network Security, Cisco Technology, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, and more.
O’Reilly Media, Pearson IT Certification, and Sander Van Vugt have no affiliation with Red Hat, Inc. The RED HAT and RHCSA trademarks are used for identification purposes only and are not intended to indicate affiliation with or approval by Red Hat, Inc.
Table of contents
- Module 1: Troubleshooting Basics
- Lesson 1: Troubleshooting Basics
- Lesson 2: Systems Monitoring
- Module 2: Troubleshooting Boot and Hardware-related Issues
Lesson 3: Troubleshooting Boot Issues
- Learning objectives
- 3.1 Understanding the Boot Procedure
- 3.2 Understanding Troubleshooting Modes
- 3.3 Using Low-Level Troubleshooting Modes
- 3.4 Using Systemd Troubleshooting Modes
- 3.5 Understanding GRUB
- 3.6 Fixing Boot Problems on a BIOS System
- 3.7 Understanding UEFI Boot
- 3.8 Fixing Boot problems on a UEFI System
- 3.9 Troubleshooting Failing Services in Systemd
- 3.10 Troubleshooting Systemd Lab
- 3.11 Resetting the Root Password
- Lesson 4: Managing Hardware Issues
Lesson 5: Managing Storage Issues
- Learning objectives
- 5.1 Understanding Linux Storage
- 5.2 Recovering Deleted Partitions
- 5.3 Recovering Lost Partitions Lab
- 5.4 Fixing File System Corruption
- 5.5 Dealing with LVM Problems
- 5.6 Resized LVM Volume Troubleshooting Lab
- 5.7 Understanding LUKS
- 5.8 Managing Advanced LUKS Features
- 5.9 Fixing LUKS Issues
- 5.10 Fixing Issues with Virtual Machine Storage
- 5.11 Understanding iSCSI
- 5.12 Resolving iSCSI Issues
Lesson 6: Troubleshooting Networking
- Learning objectives
- 6.1 Understanding Networking
- 6.2 Fixing Device Configuration Issues
- 6.3 Managing Network Configurations Lab
- 6.4 Fixing DNS Issues
- 6.5 Fixing Connectivity Issues
- 6.6 Troubleshooting Connectivity Lab
- 6.7 Analyzing Network Traffic
- 6.8 Analyzing Packets Lab
- 6.9 Analyzing Local Service Availability
- 6.10 Analyzing Remote Service Availability
- 6.11 Testing Network Connectivity Lab
- 6.12 Understanding Firewalling
- 6.13 Fixing Firewall Issues
- 6.14 Firewall Troubleshooting Lab
- Module 3: Troubleshooting Software-related Issues
- Lesson 7: Managing Software Issues
- Lesson 8: Managing Application Issues
Lesson 9: Managing Security Issues
- Learning objectives
- 9.1 Understanding Linux Security
- 9.2 Preventing Backdoors
- 9.3 Troubleshooting Permissions
- 9.4 Understanding SELinux Issues
- 9.5 Managing SELinux Issues
- 9.6 Analyzing SELinux Problems Lab
- 9.6 9.7 Understanding PAM
- 9.8 Troubleshooting PAM Lab
- 9.9 Managing Authentication Problems
- 9.10 LDAP Overview
- 9.11 Configuring LDAP on Linux
- 9.12 Understanding Kerberos
- 9.13 Troubleshooting Remote Authentication
- Module 4: Troubleshooting Kernel-related Issues
- Lesson 10: Troubleshooting Kernel Issues
- Lesson 11: Fixing Performance Problems
- Module 5: Sample Exam
- Lesson 12: Sample Exam
- Title: Linux Troubleshooting: Red Hat EX342
- Release date: August 2018
- Publisher(s): Pearson IT Certification
- ISBN: 0135207592
You might also like
Linux Security: Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Server Hardening (EX413) and LPIC-3 303 (Security) Exams
Duration More than 13 hours of video instruction. Overview Learn everything you need to know about …
10+ Hours of Video Instruction Linux Fundamentals LiveLessons has more than 10 hours of comprehensive video …
Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), 3/e
16+ Hours of Video Instruction Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) Complete Video Course 3rd Edition …
More Than 16 Hours of Video Instruction Overview CCNA 200-301 Complete Video Course is a comprehensive …