“Whether you’re training a junior account executive in presentation skills or media training a CEO in the middle of a PR crisis, Karen Berg delivers, helping find a winning bottom line message no matter the need.”
—John Frazier, executive vice president, Quinn & Co.
Loud & Clear is essential for everyone who needs to know how to get what he or she wants from anyone. Whether you need to get a message through to an employer, team, committee, your staff, your neighbor, teacher, student, or spouse, this book will show you how to get their attention by:
• Using your head. Before you even think about opening your mouth, you need to think long and hard about the person you want to influence and how to say what you want.
• Connecting with your listener(s). Berg will show you how to establish chemistry and intimacy with your listeners—from an individual to a stadium-sized audience—to make them want to listen to you.
• Keeping their interest. Why “soft” communication, such as story-telling and picture-painting, are important devices and how to use them effectively. Plus, how to avoid the dreaded “drone factor.”
• Saying it right. Speech and body language techniques make a lasting impression.
• Anticipating and overcoming the negatives. How to recognize disaster before it strikes, and handle it when it does.
Each chapter also features a topic-specific “plan of attack,” plus plenty of client stories, checklists, worksheets, and quizzes. For an employee trying to get a raise, a committee leader who needs to motivate a team, a traveler trying to book a better flight, or a student trying to clinch a better grade, Berg’s proven methods will help you say what you mean to get what you want.
Karen Berg, CEO of CommCore Strategies, is a communication strategist and international speaker who has trained thousands of professionals for crisis management, shareholders meetings, management presentations, government and expert witness testimony, product launch campaigns, media interviews, and more. Coauthor of the million-copy best-seller Get to the Point, Berg is a recognized industry trendsetter whose views on communications issues are featured regularly in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Redbook, Working Woman, McCall’s, and other publications. Frequently interviewed on communication trends, she has appeared on CNN, CNBC, and Today in New York. Berg lives in White Plains, New York
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
STRATEGY 1 - PROBE: Targeting Your Audience
- Who Are These People?
- Crowded House
- Anticipating the Agendas of Others
- Changing Obstacles Into Opportunities
- Stranger in a Strange Land
- Excursions in Unfamiliar Territory
- Crossing Cultural Borders
- Entering a Different Generational Zone
- Relationship Sabotage
- Whippersnapper Whips Up a Miracle
- Scoping the Territory
- The Bearer of Bad News
- Probe: At a Glance
STRATEGY 2 - POSITION: Massaging Messages and Maneuvering Meetings
- Thoroughly Modern Memory
- What’s in a Word?
- Thanks for the Memories
- How the Other Half Thinks
- The Message Map
- Take Control of Your Life, Please
- Maximizing Your Message
- Speak Up!
- Meetings, Miscommunication, Madness
- Getting It Under Control
- A Crisis for Christopher
- Please, Not Another Meeting!
- Position: At a Glance
STRATEGY 3 - PERSUADE: Mastering the Cornerstones of Persuasive Communication
- Better Living Through Chemistry
- Chemistry Chameleon
- Bullying Backfires
- Clarity Is Key
- What Works?
- Listening Skills
- E-mail: Clarity Killer?
- Curbing Communication
- Is Anybody Out There?!
- Incredible Credible
- Credible by Association
- Putting on Your Game Face
- Consistency: Its Own Reward
- Persuade: At a Glance
STRATEGY 4 - PERFORM: Putting on Your Best Show With Media Old and New
- Step 1: Gearing Up: Mind, Spirit, and Body
- Work It Out
- Hone the Zone
- Creativity Out of Bounds
- Take Them at Hello
- Stage Fright
- Step 2: Breathe
- Vocal Dis-chord?
- Step 3: Practice
- Digital Dancing
- Step 4: Dress the Part
- Step 5: Grab ’Em and Never Let Go
- And Now Introducing...
- Presentation Perfection
- Your 15 Minutes Have Arrived!
- Perform: At a Glance
- The Bottom Line
STRATEGY 5 - PREEMPT: Squashing Out the “No”
- Be Prepared for Anything
- A Crisis for the Coach
- Minimizing Disruptions
- Staying Grounded
- Getting a Grip (on Your Audience)
- Dealing With Difficult People
- Cross That Bridge
- Bridge-Building Tool Kit
- Paul’s Prickly PR Pickle
- Slanting It in Your Direction
- What Never to Say to a Reporter
- Preempt: At a Glance
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Title: Loud & Clear
- Release date: May 2008
- Publisher(s): Career Press
- ISBN: 9781564149879
You might also like
Professional Services Marketing: How the Best Firms Build Premier Brands, Thriving Lead Generation Engines, and Cultures of Business Development Success, 2nd Edition
A proven approach to revenue-generating marketing and client development Professional Services Marketing is a fully field-tested …
Mortgages 101, 3rd Edition
Everything you need to know before you borrow… Unless you’re sitting on a pile of cash, …
The High-Potential Leader
Companies need High Potential leaders (Hi-Po’s) more than ever before to help them adapt to todays …
The Intelligent Investor, Rev. Ed
More than one million hardcovers sold Now available for the first time in paperback! The Classic …