Updated tips, tricks, and shortcuts for making the most out of the MacBook
Packed with the most accessible and useful information on the MacBook and written by veteran author Brad Miser, this handy guide shares the most tantalizing techniques intriguing insider tips for getting the most out of your MacBook. Since the release of the first edition, there have been extensive changes to MobileMe and iLife '09 and this fluff-free book encourages you to dive in and get up to speed on all the latest updates.
You'll get the goods on the upcoming release of Mac OS X Snow Leopard as well as tricks on everything from using the desktop with the Dashboard and its widgets to running Windows applications on your MacBook.
Shares shortcuts and secrets for making the most of Apple's sleek and high-performing portable computer, the MacBook
Skips the fluff and delivers just the essentials on key topics, including the changes to MobileMe and iLife '09
Features more than 300 color screen shots and convenient 6x9 trim size travels wherever you go
Divulges details for running Windows applications and using the desktop with the Dashboard
If you're eager to make the most of your MacBook and interested in sharpening your key skills, then this captivating companion is for you!
Table of Contents
- About the Author
1. How Can I Use My Desktop Space Efficiently?
- 1.1. Maximizing Desktop Space
- 1.2. Setting Desktop Preferences
- 1.3. Working with the Dock
- 1.4. Working with the Sidebar and Toolbar
- 1.5. Working with Exposé
- 1.6. Working with Spaces
- 1.7. Working with the Dashboard
2. How Do I Manage User Accounts?
2.1. Working with User Accounts
- 2.1.1. Creating Administrator or Standard user accounts
- 2.1.2. Limiting access with Parental Controls
- 2.1.3. Setting Login Items for a user account
- 2.1.4. Creating Sharing Only user accounts
- 2.1.5. Creating Group user accounts
- 2.1.6. Changing accounts
- 2.1.7. Deleting accounts
- 2.2. Using Automatic Login
- 2.3. Configuring the Login Window
- 2.4. Working with Fast User Switching
- 2.5. Working with the Root User Account
- 2.1. Working with User Accounts
3. What Are My Internet Connection Options?
- 3.1. Setting Up a Local Network with Internet Access
- 3.2. Connecting via a Wireless Network
- 3.3. Connecting via an Ethernet Connection
- 3.4. Connecting via a Wireless Broadband Card
- 3.5. Connecting via iPhone Tethering
- 3.6. Managing Multiple Network Connections
- 3.7. Troubleshooting an Internet Connection
4. What Can I Do on a Local Network?
4.1. Sharing Files
- 4.1.1. Sharing your files with others
- 4.1.2. Accessing files shared with you
- 4.1.3. Sharing files with Windows PCs
- 4.2. Sharing Screens
- 4.3. Sharing Printers
- 4.4. Sharing an Internet Connection
- 4.1. Sharing Files
5. How Do I Take Advantage of MobileMe?
- 5.1. Obtaining a MobileMe Account
- 5.2. Working with iDisks
- 5.3. Synchronizing Data
- 5.4. Using MobileMe Web Applications
6. How Can I Manage Contact Information?
- 6.1. Adding Contact Information to Address Book
- 6.2. Working with Cards
- 6.3. Organizing Cards with Groups
- 6.4. Synchronizing Contact Information with an iPhone or iPod Touch
- 6.5. Printing from Address Book
7. How Can I Go Beyond Email Basics with Mail?
- 7.1. Configuring Email Accounts
- 7.2. Working with File Attachments
- 7.3. Organizing Email
- 7.4. Using the Junk Mail Tool in Mail
- 7.5. Automatically Managing Email with Rules
- 7.6. Working with RSS Feeds
8. How Can I Communicate with iChat?
- 8.1. Configuring iChat
- 8.2. Working with Buddies
- 8.3. Chatting with Text
- 8.4. Chatting with Audio
- 8.5. Chatting with Video
- 8.6. Sharing Desktops During a Chat
- 8.7. Sharing a Document During a Chat
- 8.8. Chatting On
9. How Can I Manage My Calendars?
- 9.1. Setting Up iCal
- 9.2. Managing Calendars, Events, and To-Do Items
- 9.3. Printing Calendars
- 9.4. Sharing Calendars
- 9.5. Subscribing to Calendars
- 9.6. Moving iCal Calendars onto an iPhone
- 10. How Can I Make Sure I Don't Run Out of Battery Power?
11. How Can I Control My MacBook More Effectively?
- 11.1. Using the Trackpad Effectively
11.2. Using the Keyboard Effectively
- 11.2.1. Configuring the keyboard
- 11.2.2. Configuring language settings and the Input menu
11.2.3. Using keyboard tricks
- 184.108.40.206. Controlling your MacBook with function keys
- 220.127.116.11. Controlling your MacBook with default keyboard shortcuts
- 18.104.22.168. Configuring keyboard shortcuts
- 22.214.171.124. Creating your own application keyboard shortcuts
- 126.96.36.199. Navigating with the keyboard
- 188.8.131.52. Using the Input menu
- 184.108.40.206. Using the Character Viewer
- 220.127.116.11. Using the Keyboard Viewer
- 11.3. Configuring Bluetooth on a MacBook
- 11.4. Adding a Bluetooth Mouse
- 11.5. Adding a Bluetooth Keyboard
12. How Do I Make Better Use of My MacBook's Audio?
- 12.1. Getting Sound Out of a MacBook
- 12.2. Working with Sound Effects
12.3. Getting Sound into a MacBook
- 12.3.1. Recording sound with the MacBook's internal microphone
- 12.3.2. Recording sound with a USB headset
- 12.3.3. Recording sound with a video camera
- 12.3.4. Recording sound from external microphones and musical instruments
- 12.3.5. Recording sound with an iPhone
13. How Do I Store and Maintain My Data?
- 13.1. Using External Hard Drives
- 13.2. Maintaining Hard Drives
- 13.3. Using an iPod as an External Drive
- 13.4. Working with Flash Drives
14. How Can I Protect My MacBook?
14.1. Keeping Software Current
- 14.1.1. Keeping Apple software current
- 14.1.2. Keeping non-Apple software current
- 14.2. Preventing Internet Attacks
- 14.3. Protecting MacBook with General Security
- 14.4. Protecting Data with Time Machine
- 14.5. Protecting Data with Encryption
- 14.6. Protecting Information with Keychains
- 14.1. Keeping Software Current
15. How Can I Run Windows Applications?
- 15.1. Choosing a Windows Option
- 15.2. Using Boot Camp to Run Windows
- 15.3. Running Windows Virtually
16. How Do I Solve MacBook Problems?
- 16.1. Looking for Trouble
- 16.2. Understanding and Describing Problems
16.3. Trying Fast and Easy Solutions
- 16.3.1. Forcing applications to quit
- 16.3.2. Forcing the Finder to relaunch
- 16.3.3. Restarting
- 16.3.4. Shutting down soft
- 16.3.5. Shutting down hard
- 16.3.6. Logging in under a troubleshooting user account
- 16.3.7. Repairing external hard drives
- 16.3.8. Repairing the internal hard drive
- 16.3.9. Repairing permissions
- 16.3.10. Reinstalling applications
- 16.3.11. Starting up from an alternate startup external drive
- 16.3.12. Starting up from the Mac OS X installation disc
- 16.4. Getting Help with MacBook Problems
- 16.5. Trying Harder or More Expensive Solutions
- Title: MacBook® Portable Genius, 2nd Edition
- Release date: November 2009
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470560648