Polygon and Corner Detection
Polygon detection poses further problems, some of which may be solved more conveniently by using corner detection. In any case, corner detection is valuable for locating complex objects and for tracking them in 2-D or 3-D. This chapter discusses these two detection problems and considers whether Hough transforms or other methods are best suited for the task.
Look out for:
• use of the generalized Hough transform for detecting polygons.
• consideration of the minimum numbers of parameter planes needed for the purpose.
• how polygon orientation should be determined.
• why corner features are useful.
• the variety of methods available for corner detection—template matching, the second-order derivative method, the median-based ...