Managed Code Rootkits is the first book to cover application-level rootkits and other types of malware inside the application VM, which runs a platform-independent programming environment for processes. The book, divided into four parts, points out high-level attacks, which are developed in intermediate language.
The initial part of the book offers an overview of managed code rootkits. It explores environment models of managed code and the relationship of managed code to rootkits by studying how they use application VMs. It also discusses attackers of managed code rootkits and various attack scenarios. The second part of the book covers the development of managed code rootkits, starting with the tools used in producing managed code rootkits through their deployment.
The next part focuses on countermeasures that can possibly be used against managed code rootkits, including technical solutions, prevention, detection, and response tactics. The book concludes by presenting techniques that are somehow similar to managed code rootkits, which can be used in solving problems.
- Named a 2011 Best Hacking and Pen Testing Book by InfoSec Reviews
- Introduces the reader briefly to managed code environments and rootkits in general
- Completely details a new type of rootkit hiding in the application level and demonstrates how a hacker can change language runtime implementation
- Focuses on managed code including Java, .NET, Android Dalvik and reviews malware development scanarios
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- Part I: Overview
- Part II: Malware development
- Part III: Countermeasures
- Part IV: Where Do We Go from Here?
- Title: Managed Code Rootkits
- Release date: November 2010
- Publisher(s): Syngress
- ISBN: 9781597495752
You might also like
Computer Security Fundamentals, 4th Edition
Clearly explains core concepts, terminology, challenges, technologies, and skills Covers today's latest attacks and countermeasures The …
Computer Security Art and Science, 2nd Edition
The Comprehensive Guide to Computer Security, Extensively Revised with Newer Technologies, Methods, Ideas, and Examples In …
The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes, Second Edition
This much-anticipated revision, written by the ultimate group of top security experts in the world, features …
Foundations of Information Security
In this high-level survey of the information security field, best-selling author Jason Andress covers the basics …