Managed Code Rootkits is the first book to cover application-level rootkits and other types of malware inside the application VM, which runs a platform-independent programming environment for processes. The book, divided into four parts, points out high-level attacks, which are developed in intermediate language.
The initial part of the book offers an overview of managed code rootkits. It explores environment models of managed code and the relationship of managed code to rootkits by studying how they use application VMs. It also discusses attackers of managed code rootkits and various attack scenarios. The second part of the book covers the development of managed code rootkits, starting with the tools used in producing managed code rootkits through their deployment.
The next part focuses on countermeasures that can possibly be used against managed code rootkits, including technical solutions, prevention, detection, and response tactics. The book concludes by presenting techniques that are somehow similar to managed code rootkits, which can be used in solving problems.
- Named a 2011 Best Hacking and Pen Testing Book by InfoSec Reviews
- Introduces the reader briefly to managed code environments and rootkits in general
- Completely details a new type of rootkit hiding in the application level and demonstrates how a hacker can change language runtime implementation
- Focuses on managed code including Java, .NET, Android Dalvik and reviews malware development scanarios
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- Part I: Overview
- Part II: Malware development
- Part III: Countermeasures
- Part IV: Where Do We Go from Here?
- Title: Managed Code Rootkits
- Release date: November 2010
- Publisher(s): Syngress
- ISBN: 9781597495752
You might also like
Security and Frontend Performance
Security and performance are regarded as separate issues requiring very different solutions. But now that malicious …
Designing BSD Rootkits
Though rootkits have a fairly negative image, they can be used for both good and evil. …
Professional C# 6 and .NET Core 1.0
A true professional's guide to C# 6 Professional C# 6 and .NET Core 1.0 provides complete …
.Net Framework Essentials
.NET Framework Essentials is an objective, concise, and technical overview of the new Microsoft .NET Framework …