Tips for Being a Great Protégé
• Select a mentor who can help you be the best you can be, not one you think can help you get a promotion.
• Remember, you can sometimes learn more from people who are different than from people who are “just like you.”
• Get crystal clear on your goals and expectations for a mentoring relationship.
• Communicate your goals and expectations in your first meeting.
• Mentoring is about learning, not looking good in front of your mentor. Be yourself and be willing to take risks and experiment with new skills and ideas.
• When your mentor gives you advice or feedback, work hard to hear it as a gift. Just because it may be painful does not mean it is not beneficial.
• If your mentoring relationship is not working like ...