It’s not enough to designate a pilot team and then watch for results. You need to validate the criteria used to establish the team in the first place. From time to time, the team’s design should be tested against the original set of criteria, as well as other measures of team performance. Consider using a product team scorecard that would serve to evaluate some or all of the following factors:
1. The performance of the team leader
2. The performance of the delegated core team members
3. The effectiveness of the team’s governance structure
4. The degree of influence the team exerts to produce agreed-upon outcomes
5. The actual business results they achieve
6. The techniques they ...