This special issue of the Project Management Journal presents a collection of six articles on managing projects in Africa. Providing a window into the important project activity taking place there, these articles extend both the empirical and theoretical understanding of the African project context and contribute to improving practice. Each article makes a unique contribution to either our understanding of the African project context or project management in general, and sometimes to both.
After an introduction to the African project context at the start of the 21st century, the articles explore:
three different countries as well as multinational projects;
for-profit, public sector, and development aid projects;
infrastructure and information and communication technology;
project governance as well as project management; and
Table of contents
- Copyright page
- From the Editors
- Project Management Trilogy Challenges in Africa—Where to From Here?
Linking Policies to Projects: The Key to Identifying the Right Public Investment Projects
- The Research
- Projects in Developing Countries
- What Links Policies to the Right Projects?
- Improving Governance of Public Investment Projects in Developing Countries
- Factors That Could Affect the Implementation of a Project Governance System in Developing Countries
- How Are the Right Projects Identified Through a Project Governance System?
Project Management for Development in Africa: Why Projects Are Failing and What Can Be Done About It
- What Are International Development Projects?
- Project Management in International Development
- International Development Project Management Problems and Traps
- International Development Project Management Problems
- International Development Project Management Traps
- Contribution of Project Management to International Development
- An Agenda for Action
- An Agenda for Research
Managing Political Risks of Chinese Contracted Projects in Libya
- Literature Review
- Contracted Projects as China’s Major Presence in the Libyan Economy
- Political Risks in Libya
- The Political Risk Assessment in Libya for Chinese Contracted Projects Since the Crisis Erupted
- Countermeasures of Chinese Contracted Projects to the Libyan Crisis and the Effects of Political Risks on Chinese Constructors
- Governance of Public Investment Projects in Ethiopia
Project Management Training Curricula at South African Public Universities: Is the Balanced Demand of the Profession Sufficiently Accommodated?
- Background to the EPSRC Study and Other Related Literature
- Research Methodology
- Research Results
- How Can Curriculum Changes Ensure That the Training of Project Managers in South Africa Sufficiently Accommodates the Balanced Demand of the Profession?
- Possibilities for Further Research
- Cover to Cover
- Calendar of Events
- Project Management Journal Guidelines
- Title: Managing Projects in Africa: Essentials from the Project Management Journal
- Release date: January 2013
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9781118586785
You might also like
Agile Software Architecture
Agile software development approaches have had significant impact on industrial software development practices. Today, agile software …
Mastering Project Time Management, Cost Control, and Quality Management: Proven Methods for Controlling the Three Elements that Define Project Deliverables
Mastering Project Time Management, Cost Control, and Quality Management This book is part of a new …
Agile Project Management: Essentials from the Project Management Journal
The development of the Agile Movement, whatever the area of application or discipline, comes from the …
The Intangibles of Leadership: The 10 Qualities of Superior Executive Performance
It's the Subtleties that Matter! What is the real difference between competent leader and extraordinary executive? …