A number of rules have been developed to aid designers when thinking about the manufacture of component parts by common processes:
• Ensure maximum simplicity in overall design.
• Be aware of the capabilities of in-house manufacture and outside suppliers.
• Select materials to suit the process, as well as lowest cost and availability.
• It is not desirable to design structures with abrupt changes in section due to stress concentrations. Aim at uniform wall thickness, cross-sections and gradual changes.
• Parts should be designed so that as many operations as possible can be performed without requiring repositioning. This promotes accuracy and minimises handling.
• Dimensions in ...