Other Important Materials
CUTTING TOOL MATERIALS
- As the name suggests, these materials are used for making cutting tools.
- A cutting tool material should have the following characteristics:
- The tool material should be harder than work material. Also its hardness should be maintained at increased temperatures.
- Its coefficient of friction should be low to reduce the frictional heat generation.
- Its thermal conductivity and specific heat should be high to conduct away the heat easily.
- It should be tough enough to resist shock or impact.
- Among the plain carbon steels, high carbon steel is the most suitable cutting tool material because of its increased carbon content. They are suitable for low cutting speeds.
- High speed steel (HSS) ...
With Safari, you learn the way you learn best. Get unlimited access to videos, live online training,
learning paths, books, interactive tutorials, and more.