Xtrabackup is the best solution to create backups for several reasons:
- It's fast in creating a backup
- It's fast in restoring a backup
- It locks a table for a very short time
- It can stream compressed databases
- It can perform incremental backups
- It allows you to compress your backups
- It allows you to encrypt your backups
In most cases, it's a better solution to backup, as it is very fast and doesn't need to lock the tables for a long time (only a few milliseconds). However, you need to take care about what you're backing up, as Xtrabackup only backs up InnoDB/XtraDB and MyISAM engines.
To install Xtrabackup, we saw in the previous chapters that you need to first configure the Percona repository and then install Xtrabackup.
We'll see ...