Search has changed everything. Has your business harnessed its full potential?
A business's search strategy can have a dramatic impact on how consumers interact with that business. But even more importantly, search engine activity provides amazingly useful data about customer behavior, needs, and motivations. In this non-technical book for executives, business owners, and marketers, search engine strategy guru Vanessa Fox—who created Google's portal for site owners, Google Webmaster Central—explains what every marketer or business owner needs to understand about search rankings, search data, comprehensive search strategies, and integrating your strategy into the businesses processes.
Updated statistics, tools, and recommendations
Details about the latest changes from Google, Bing, and the overall search landscape
Explanation and recommendations related to Google's substantial new search algorithm, know as "Panda"
Discussion of the changing landscape of the integration of search and social media, including the addition of Google+ to the mix
Traditional marketing isn't enough anymore. Businesses need to evolve as customer behavior evolves. Marketing in the Age of Google shows you how.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1: How Search Has Changed Your Business
Chapter 2: How to Use Search Data to Improve Your Business and Product Strategy
- How We Use Search for Research: Planning a Trip to Lake Tahoe
- Market Research: Where the Wild Frontiers of Human Nature Meet the Wild Powers of Technology
- Search Data: A Powerful Source of Market Research
- Using Search Data for Better Business Strategy and Stronger Customer Engagement
- A Better Strategy for Increased Customers and a More Successful Business
- Chapter 3: How We Search
- Chapter 4: Building Searcher Personas
Chapter 5: How Search Engines Work
- The Evolution of Search Engines
- The Introduction of Pagerank
- The Current State of Search Engines
- How Search Engines Work
- The Difference Between Organic and Paid Results
- How Search Engines Rank Results
- How Search Engines are Using Data About Searcher Intent
- Search Engine Suggestions and Prompts
- Anatomy of a Search Engine Result
- The Evolution of Organic Search Results: Beyond Web Pages
- Blended Search: Images
- Blended Search: Video
- How Do Universal Results Impact Searcher Behavior?
- Continued Enhancements to the Search Results Page
- Getting Technical: How It All Comes Together
Chapter 6: Implementing an Effective Search Strategy
- Would you Like to Exchange Links With My Site Buy-Cheap-Viagra-While-You-Play-Poker-Online-and-File-A-Mesothelioma-Class-Action-Lawsuit.Info?
- Beyond SEO
- Becoming Too Focused on SEO
- Search Engine Guidelines and Penalties
- Building Search into the Process of the Organization
- Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations
- Market Research and Product Development
- Metrics and Analytics
- Customer Support
- How Search Impacts Local Business
- Google’s Changing Algorithms
- Chapter 7: Working with Developers
Chapter 8: How to Cut through the Data and Get the Actionable Metrics you Need
- Conversion Rates
- Defining Goals
- What’s Not Important
- Competitive Intelligence As a Benchmark To How Well You’re Really Doing
- Having Actionable Analytics Data is a Competitive Advantage
- How Ebay Uses Analytics to Inform What They Should Do, Not Just Show What They’ve Done
- Can Software Accurately Calculate Attribution?
- What About Offline Attribution?
- The Trouble with Data
- The Value of An Experienced in-House Web Analytics Expert
Chapter 9: Social Media and Search
- What is Social Media?
- Other Types of Media
- Being Visible in Search Results
- The Synergies of Search and Social Media and Public Relations
- Online Reputation Management
- Helping Your Company Site To Rank Well
- Market Research
- Finding Out Where People are Talking About you Online
- Averting a Public Relations Disaster
- Garnering Support
- But We Want To Control Our Branding!
- Tactical Suggestions
- The Value of User-Generated Content for Search Acquisition
- You Can Compel Visitors By Being Compelling
- Taking Advantage of Diversified Acquisition Streams
- Getting Started
- Google+ Business Pages
- Chapter 10: What’s Next?
- Title: Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy IS Your Business Strategy, Revised and Updated
- Release date: May 2012
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118231937
You might also like
Web Content Management
Looking to select a web content management system (CMS), but confused about the promises, terminology, and …
Artificial Intelligence Basics: A Non-Technical Introduction
Artificial intelligence touches nearly every part of your day. While you may initially assume that technology …
The Time Cleanse: A Proven System to Eliminate Wasted Time, Realize Your Full Potential, and Reinvest in What Matters Most
Publisher's Note: Products purchased from Third Party sellers are not guaranteed by the publisher for quality, …
Technical Blogging, 2nd Edition
Successful technical blogging is not easy but it's also not magic. Use these techniques to attract …