A step-by-step marketing planning system for service businesses
This chapter is in two parts, as follows:
- A summary of the strategic marketing planning process for services
- A step-by-step approach to preparing a strategic marketing plan
- A step-by-step approach to preparing a tactical marketing plan
- A format for those who have to consolidate many strategic marketing plans
- Forms and templates are provided to turn the theory into practice
It is, of course, possible to complete the pro-formas provided without reading this book, but we stress that this is very dangerous and may well lead to a plan without any real substance. Consequently, we advise readers to consult the relevant sections of the main text.
Part 1 Marketing planning summary
The purpose of marketing planning
The overall purpose of marketing and its principal focus is the identification and creation of competitive advantage.
What is marketing planning?
Marketing planning is simply a logical sequence and a series of activities leading to the setting of marketing objectives and the formulation of plans for achieving them.
Why is marketing planning necessary?
Marketing planning is necessary because of:
- Increasing turbulence, complexity and competitiveness
- The speed of technological change
- Services are often less tangible, variable and perishable
- The need for you
- to help identify sources of competitive advantage
- to force an organized approach to develop specificity
- to ensure consistent ...