The product is ultimately what the consumer buys. The company might have its rationale for the product. But it is finally the customer’s choice. A basket of benefits with a certain appeal makes sense to the customer. How does one understand what is it that the customer wants or does not want in a product? The following are some hints:
- Decide what you are, also what you are not.
- Brands that are more visible are not the only ones that make money.
- Do not teach customers what to buy; instead, create what they want.
- One attribute might matter much more to some customers than others.
- Differentiate between a fad and a trend.
- What works in one domain may not work in others.
3.1 DECIDE WHAT YOU ARE, ALSO WHAT YOU ARE NOT
When Titan ...