“As a rule, software systems do not work well until they have been used, and have failed repeatedly, in real applications.”
A recent survey by the Australian institute Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) showed that the following points are true regarding small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs):
- Ninety-one percent have Internet access.
- Forty-five percent have a web site.
- Fifty-five percent place orders online.
- Twenty-eight percent receive orders online.
- Thirty-nine percent of SMEs with one to four employees receive orders online.
But even of the 28 percent that receive orders online, it is only a small percentage of those that then go on to process the received ...