574 CHAPTER 15 RUNNING DOWNHILL: PIPE NETWORKS
8. Select Structure-(1) in the drawing. Right-click, and choose Structure Properties. Switch to
the Part Properties tab. Scroll down to the Sump Depth ﬁeld, and change the value to 0
Click OK to exit the Structure Properties dialog.
9. Expand the Pipe Networks Networks Sanitary Sewer Network branches in Prospector
in Toolspace, and select the Structures entry. Use the tabular interface in the Preview pane
area of Prospector to change the names of Structures (1) through (4) to MH1 through MH4.
Creating an Alignment from Network Parts
On some occasions, certain legs of a pipe network require their own stationing. Perhaps most of
your pipes are shown on a road proﬁle, but the legs that run offsite or through open space require
their own proﬁles. Whatever the reason, it’s often necessary to create an alignment from network
parts. Follow these steps:
1. Open the Alignment from Network Parts.dwg ﬁle.
2. Select Structure-(1).
3. Choose Alignment from Network on the Launch Pad panel.
4. The command line prompts you to Select next Network Part or [Undo]. Select
, and a dialog appears that is almost identical to the one you see when you create
an alignment from the Alignments menu. Name and stylize your alignment as appropriate.
Notice the Create Proﬁle and Proﬁle View check box on the last line of the dialog. Leave the
box selected, and click OK.
6. The Create Proﬁle from Surface dialog appears (see Figure 15.22). This dialog is identical
to the one that appears when you create a proﬁle from a surface. Choose both the Existing
Ground and Finished Ground surfaces, and click Draw in Proﬁle View. (See Chapter 8,
‘‘Cut to the Chase: Proﬁles,’’ for further information about sampling proﬁles from
The Create Proﬁle from
CREATING AN ALIGNMENT FROM NETWORK PARTS 575
7. You see the Create Proﬁle View Wizard (see Figure 15.23). Click the Next button in the Cre-
ate Proﬁle View Wizard until you reach the Pipe Network Display tab. You should see a list
of pipes and structures in your drawing. Make sure Yes is selected for each pipe and struc-
ture in the Sanitary Sewer Network only. Click Create Proﬁle View, and place the proﬁle
view to the right of the site plan.
The Create Proﬁle
8. You see ﬁve structures and four pipes drawn in a proﬁle view, which is based on the newly
created alignment (see Figure 15.24).
Creating a proﬁle view
Get Mastering AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2010 now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.