Apache Cassandra is an open-source NoSQL database that specializes in speed, scale, and uptime. With technical features based on Dynamo and Google BigTable, Cassandra is one of the most widely used distributed data storage systems available. If you’ve got more data than can fit on one server, uptime is important to you, and if you’re working with data that changes rapidly, then Cassandra is a database to think about.
This tutorial provides a complete introduction to Cassandra. Not only will you understand how Cassandra distinguishes itself from relational databases and other NoSQL stores, you'll learn enough of the Java API to get started writing code. The course explores Cassandra’s unique tabular data model; digs into the internal performance of each node in a Cassandra database—the read and write path; explains the operational responsibilities for maintaining a Cassandra cluster; and guides you through writing Java code that writes to and reads from a Cassandra database. If you’re a developer or architect just getting started with Cassandra, or someone considering using a non-relational data store, this video tutorial will illuminate the capabilities of this massively popular NoSQL database.
- Explore Cassandra's capabilities versus a relational database or another non-relational database
- Discover Cassandra’s unique tabular data model and the Cassandra Query Language
- Learn how Cassandra handles consistency and replication across servers
- Understand the characteristics of Cassandra’s read and write path
- Gain experience writing a program using the Java Driver
Tim Berglund is the senior director of developer experience at Confluent. A teacher, author, and technology leader, Tim speaks frequently at big data conferences in the U.S. and internationally. He co-wrote the O’Reilly titles Mastering Advanced Git and Mastering Cassandra for Architects, and is the cohost of the DevRel Radio Podcast.
Table of contents
- Why Cassandra?
- Cassandra Data Model
- Cassandra Distributed Architecture
- Read and Write Path in Cassandra
- The Java Driver in Cassandra
- Title: Mastering Cassandra Essentials
- Release date: October 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491994115
You might also like
Expanded Edition (August 2018) Updated with Design Patterns episodes from the Clean Code series from Clean …
Software developers and architects increasingly turn to microservices as a framework for improving the agility and …
Distributed Systems in One Lesson
Simple tasks like running a program or storing and retrieving data become much more complicated when …
Go is rapidly becoming the preferred language for building web services. There are plenty of tutorials …