Introducing Open vSwitch
Open vSwitch is an open source OpenFlow-capable virtual switch. If you're familiar with VMware, think of it as an open source distributed virtual switch. To give you a fair idea of how great Open vSwitch (OVS) is, here is a brief feature list, as of version 2.3:
- Visibility into inter VM communication via NetFlow and sFlow
- Standard 802.1q VLAN model via trunking
- Per VM interface traffic policing
- NIC bonding
- OpenFlow protocol support
- Multiple tunneling protocols such as GRE, VxLAN, IPSec, and GRE over IPSEC
- Mobility of states
See the full feature list here: http://Openvswitch.org/features/.
Comparison between Linux bridge and Open vSwitch
Before we go further and learn more about Open vSwitch including its architecture, let us quickly ...