Chapter 1. Introducing Regular Expressions
Regular expressions are text patterns that define the form a text string should have. Using them, among other usages, it will be possible to do the following activities:
- Check if an input honors a given pattern; for example, we can check whether a value entered in a HTML formulary is a valid e-mail address
- Look for a pattern appearance in a piece of text; for example, check if either the word "color" or the word "colour" appears in a document with just one scan
- Extract specific portions of a text; for example, extract the postal code of an address
- Replace portions of text; for example, change any appearance of "color" or "colour" with "red"
- Split a larger text into smaller pieces, for example, splitting a ...