Chapter 2. Advanced Searching
In this chapter, we will demonstrate advanced searching topics and techniques, providing meaningful examples as we go along. The following topics will be covered:
- Searching for operators, command formats, and tags
- Searching with parameters
- Efficient searching with macros
- Search results
Searching in Splunk
It would be negligent for a book on mastering Splunk searching to not mention the dashboard of version 6.0.
The search dashboard
If you take a look at the Splunk search dashboard (and you should), you can break it down into four general areas. They are given as follows:
- The search bar: The search bar is a long textbox into which you can enter your searches when you use Splunk Web.
- Range picker: Using the (time) ...