An option to monitor Splunk itself (even in the most complicated environments) is the Splunk Deployment Monitor app. This app is designed to help manage and troubleshoot medium- to large-scale deployments. It also keeps track of all your Splunk instances and delivers early warning signals of the potential failures.
The Splunk Deployment Monitor app provides you with out-of-the-box dashboards and drilldowns—giving you information that will help you monitor your Splunk environment's health, such as the following:
- Index throughput (based on time)
- Forwarder connections to the indexer over time
- Indexer and forwarder abnormalities
- Status and forwarding volume over time
- Source types being indexed by the system
- License usage
Where is this app?
Prior to ...