This section will discuss what a Tableau Data Extract (TDE) is as well as how to efficiently construct an extract.
Understanding the Tableau Data Extract
A Tableau Data Extract (TDE) is a proprietary compressed data source created by Tableau Desktop. A TDE can be stored locally and accessed by Tableau to render visualizations. Consider the following points; they make a
.tde file an excellent choice for improved performance:
- A TDE can be quickly generated at an aggregate level:
- See the walkthrough of the Extract Data dialog box.
- A TDE is a columnar store:
- Relational databases typically store data using a Row store methodology. A columnar store records as sequences of columns.
- In the following example, note that Row store is excellent ...