Chapter 4 Stiffness and weight: Density and elastic moduli
- 4.1 Introduction and synopsis 48
- 4.2 Density, stress, strain and moduli 48
- 4.3 The big picture: material property charts 57
- 4.4 The science: what determines density and stiffness? 59
- 4.5 Manipulating the modulus and density 70
- 4.6 Summary and conclusions 73
- 4.7 Further reading 75
- 4.8 Exercises 75
- 4.9 Exploring design with CES 77
- 4.10 Exploring the science with CES Elements 78
Stress causes strain. If you are human, the ability to cope with stress without undue strain is called resilience. If you are a material, it is called elastic modulus.
Modes of loading. (Image of Stansted Airport courtesy of Norman Foster and Partners, London, UK)
4.1 Introduction and ...