Extract patterns and knowledge from your data in easy way using MATLAB
About This Book
- Get your first steps into machine learning with the help of this easy-to-follow guide
- Learn regression, clustering, classification, predictive analytics, artificial neural networks and more with MATLAB
- Understand how your data works and identify hidden layers in the data with the power of machine learning.
Who This Book Is For
This book is for data analysts, data scientists, students, or anyone who is looking to get started with machine learning and want to build efficient data processing and predicting applications. A mathematical and statistical background will really help in following this book well.
What You Will Learn
- Learn the introductory concepts of machine learning.
- Discover different ways to transform data using SAS XPORT, import and export tools,
- Explore the different types of regression techniques such as simple & multiple linear regression, ordinary least squares estimation, correlations and how to apply them to your data.
- Discover the basics of classification methods and how to implement Naive Bayes algorithm and Decision Trees in the Matlab environment.
- Uncover how to use clustering methods like hierarchical clustering to grouping data using the similarity measures.
- Know how to perform data fitting, pattern recognition, and clustering analysis with the help of MATLAB Neural Network Toolbox.
- Learn feature selection and extraction for dimensionality reduction leading to improved performance.
MATLAB is the language of choice for many researchers and mathematics experts for machine learning. This book will help you build a foundation in machine learning using MATLAB for beginners.
You’ll start by getting your system ready with t he MATLAB environment for machine learning and you’ll see how to easily interact with the Matlab workspace. We’ll then move on to data cleansing, mining and analyzing various data types in machine learning and you’ll see how to display data values on a plot. Next, you’ll get to know about the different types of regression techniques and how to apply them to your data using the MATLAB functions.
You’ll understand the basic concepts of neural networks and perform data fitting, pattern recognition, and clustering analysis. Finally, you’ll explore feature selection and extraction techniques for dimensionality reduction for performance improvement.
At the end of the book, you will learn to put it all together into real-world cases covering major machine learning algorithms and be comfortable in performing machine learning with MATLAB.
Style and approach
The book takes a very comprehensive approach to enhance your understanding of machine learning using MATLAB. Sufficient real-world examples and use cases are included in the book to help you grasp the concepts quickly and apply them easily in your day-to-day work.
Downloading the example code for this book. You can download the example code files for all Packt books you have purchased from your account at http://www.PacktPub.com. If you purchased this book elsewhere, you can visit http://www.PacktPub.com/support and register to have the code file.
Table of contents
Getting Started with MATLAB Machine Learning
- ABC of machine learning
- Discover the different types of machine learning
- Choosing the right algorithm
- How to build machine learning models step by step
- Introducing machine learning with MATLAB
- Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox
- Neural Network Toolbox
- Statistics and algebra in MATLAB
Importing and Organizing Data in MATLAB
- Familiarizing yourself with the MATLAB desktop
- Importing data into MATLAB
- Exporting data from MATLAB
- Working with media files
- Data organization
From Data to Knowledge Discovery
- Distinguishing the types of variables
- Data preparation
- Exploratory statistics - numerical measures
- Exploratory visualization
Finding Relationships between Variables - Regression Techniques
- Searching linear relationships
- How to create a linear regression model
- Polynomial regression
- Regression Learner App
Pattern Recognition through Classification Algorithms
- Predicting a response by decision trees
- Probabilistic classification algorithms - Naive Bayes
- Describing differences by discriminant analysis
- Find similarities using nearest neighbor classifiers
- Classification Learner app
Identifying Groups of Data Using Clustering Methods
- Introduction to clustering
- Hierarchical clustering
- Partitioning-based clustering methods - K-means algorithm
- Partitioning around the actual center - K-medoids clustering
- Clustering using Gaussian mixture models
Simulation of Human Thinking - Artificial Neural Networks
- Getting started with neural networks
- Basic elements of a neural network
- Neural Network Toolbox
- A neural network getting started GUI
- Data fitting with neural networks
- Improving the Performance of the Machine Learning Model - Dimensionality Reduction
- Machine Learning in Practice
- Title: MATLAB for Machine Learning
- Release date: August 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788398435
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Statistics for Machine Learning
Build Machine Learning models with a sound statistical understanding. About This Book Learn about the statistics …
Hands-On Data Analysis with Pandas
Get to grips with pandas - a versatile and high-performance Python library for data manipulation, analysis, …