Although many implementations of Lync Server 2010 for non-voice deployments will be virtualized, both physical and virtual servers used for Lync Server 2010 must meet a few standards. Keep these in mind when planning a Lync Server 2010 deployment:
• Lync Server 2010 only runs as a 64-bit application and must have 64-bit hardware.
• Lync Server 2010 does not support Intel Itanium processors.
From an operating perspective, plan to use one of the following operating systems to support Lync Server 2010:
• Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard operating system
• Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise operating system
• Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter operating system
• Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard operating system with ...