Creating an Office item type External List is very similar to creating any other External List. Use the following steps to create an Office item External List.
1. Select External Content Types within SharePoint Designer and click the new External Content Type button.
2. Name your external content type Customers.
3. Select the drop-down next to Office Item Type and choose Contact. Notice in this drop-down that other choices are Appointment, Task, and Post.
4. Click External System and then in the new window select Add Connection and choose SQL Server as the data source type.
5. Specify your SQL Server and the database name of AdventureWorksLT; name the connection AdventureWorksLT. For this example you continue ...