Import and Export Wizard
On many occasions SQL DBAs need to do the following:
- Copy only a few tables from one SQL Server database to another SQL Server database.
- Import data from a flat file or a Microsoft Office Excel file.
- Copy data from one table to another with different collations.
To easily and quickly achieve these DBA tasks, Microsoft has provided another powerful wizard: called SQL Server Import and Export Wizard. This wizard enables copying data to and from any data source for which a managed .NET Framework data provider or a native OLE DB provider is available.
You can access the Import and Export Wizard from various locations:
- Choose Import and Export Data from Start → Programs → Microsoft SQL Server 2012.
- Open Management Studio, right-click a database and choose Task → Import Data or Export Data from the context menu.
- Open SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) from Start → Programs → Microsoft SQL Server 2012. Open an SSIS solution, select SSIS Import and Export Wizard from the Project menu, or right-click the SSIS Packages folder.
- Run DTSWizard.exe (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn) from the command prompt.
To move data with the Import and Export Wizard, follow these steps:
1. Launch the Import and Export Wizard using one of the preceding methods.
2. Skip past the Welcome to SQL Server Import and Export Wizard by clicking Next.
3. On the Choose a Data Source screen, select the source data. If you launch the wizard from Management Studio by right-clicking ...