Import and Export Wizard
On many occasions SQL DBAs need to do the following:
- Copy only a few tables from one SQL Server database to another SQL Server database.
- Import data from a flat file or a Microsoft Office Excel file.
- Copy data from one table to another with different collations.
To easily and quickly achieve these DBA tasks, Microsoft has provided another powerful wizard: called SQL Server Import and Export Wizard. This wizard enables copying data to and from any data source for which a managed .NET Framework data provider or a native OLE DB provider is available.
You can access the Import and Export Wizard from various locations:
- Choose Import and Export Data from Start → Programs → Microsoft SQL Server 2012.
- Open Management Studio, right-click a database and choose Task → Import Data or Export Data from the context menu.
- Open SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) from Start → Programs → Microsoft SQL Server 2012. Open an SSIS solution, select SSIS Import and Export Wizard from the Project menu, or right-click the SSIS Packages folder.
- Run DTSWizard.exe (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn) from the command prompt.
To move data with the Import and Export Wizard, follow these steps: