Using System Center Virtual Machine Manager
IN THIS CHAPTER
- Benefits of using the System Center Virtual Machine Manager
- Understanding host, virtual machine, and template management capabilities
- Resource and power optimization capabilities
- Physical and virtual migration technologies
- ESX and XenServer management
- Hyper-V host deployment and patching
- Storage and network fabric integration and management
- Server application virtualization
- Modeling services
The tools that are used to manage and interact with Hyper-V are critical to a successful virtualization endeavor. I would not fault any administrator who blames his tools for an inefficiently run Hyper-V implementation if all he or she had access to was the management tool supplied with the product. System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012 is a necessity for truly effective and comprehensive management of a Hyper-V-based environment and, as I will demonstrate, a heterogeneous virtualization environment, including ESX and XenServer. Behind every great Hyper-V implementation is a great SCVMM.
This chapter explores the full capabilities of SCVMM for a great management experience. It covers all the features you’ll need, although a comprehensive discussion about how to implement every feature is beyond the scope of one book. However, the chapter does include additional resources that provide step-by-step instructions. My goal is to explain why you should use SCVMM’s tools and to provide you with tips and best practices ...