This complete video course helps you build a solid understanding of networking in the Windows Server environment. Hands-on skills for real-world success!
One of the key ingredients to being a successful server administrator is to have a firm understanding of how networking works in the server environment. These easy video tutorials are designed to help you quickly build an understanding of Windows Server 2012 Networking Services including DNS, DHCP, NPS, IPv4, IPv6, and more. World-class networking instructor and consultant Ed Liberman starts by introducing the absolute basics of the OSI networking model and the TCP/IP protocol suite. Next, he guides you through the basics of IP addressing and subnetting, static and automatic TCP/IP configuration, DHCP and DNS installation and management, zones and name resolution, and more. He concludes by explaining how IPv6 overcomes the growing limitations of IPv4 networks, how to get started with it, and what you need to know to ensure compatibility between IPv4 and IPv6.
- Intermediate to advanced
What You Will Learn
- Essentials of the OSI Networking Model and the TCP/IP Protocol Suite
- How IP addresses work and how to work with them
- What subnets are and how to use them
- How to perform static or automatic TCP/IP configuration
- How to install, configure, and manage DHCP and use it with DNS and in routed networks
- How to install and configure DNS and work with zones and name resolution
- How to get started with IPv6 and ensure IPv4/IPv6 compatibility
Who Should Take This Course
- For information technology (IT) professionals who want skills and knowledge for managing and maintaining core infrastructure in Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 environments
- Hands-on experience working as an IT professional in any Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012 environment
Table of Contents
In the Introduction, discover what you’ll need to know about Windows Server networking and how this course plans to help you master it quickly and efficiently.
Lesson 1: Overview of TCP/IP
In Lesson 1, you start by understanding both the OSI networking model and the TCP/IP Protocol Suite; then, move on to Transport Layer and Internet Layer Protocols and wrap up with Sockets.
Lesson 2: Understanding IP Addressing
Lesson 2 teaches you what IP addresses are, how public and private IP addresses differ, how to convert decimal to binary for understanding IP addresses, and how both classful and classless addressing work.
Lesson 3: Subnetting
Lesson 3 explains subnet masks and subnetting, how to calculate subnet addresses, and reviews common scenarios for using subnetting.
Lesson 4: Configuring TCP/IP
In Lesson 4, you learn TCP/IP configuration techniques using static or automatic configuration, compare alternate static vs. APIPA methods, and explore common TCP/IP configuration troubleshooting tools.
Lesson 5: Overview of DHCP
In Lesson 5, you discover DHCP’s rationale and benefits, explore DHCP lease and renewal processes, understand how DHCP and DNS can work together, and use DHCP in a routed network.
Lesson 6: Configuring DHCP
Lesson 6 explains how to install DHCP, create scopes, and work with scope options and reservations.
Lesson 7: Managing DHCP
In Lesson 7, you perform basic DHCP database management tasks, implement DHCP security, and work with DHCP statistics and logging.
Lesson 8: Name Resolution
Lesson 8 discusses what computer names and DNS are and then explores DNS zones and the name resolution process.
Lesson 9: DNS Installation and Configuration
In Lesson 9, you manually install DNS, work with DNS queries, learn how Internet DNS names are resolved, and use DNS forwarding and caching.
Lesson 10: Managing DNS Zones
Lesson 10 explains zone types and shows how to perform dynamic updates, work with Active Directory Integrated Zones, and perform zone transfers.
Lesson 11: Introduction to IPv6
Lesson 11 discusses IPv4’s disadvantages and how IPv6 overcomes them, and you learn about IPv6 addressing and the types of IPv6 addresses and explore IPv4/IPv6 compatibility.
The Summary briefly reviews the course to make sure you understand its key takeaways.
About LiveLessons Video Training
The LiveLessons Video Training series publishes hundreds of hands-on, expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. This professional and personal technology video series features world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, IBM Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que. Topics include: IT Certification, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, Home and Office Technologies, Business and Management, and more. View all LiveLessons on InformIT at: http://www.informit.com/livelessons.
Table of Contents
- Introduction 00:02:58
- Lesson 1: Overview of TCP/IP
- Lesson 2: Understanding IP Addressing
- Lesson 3: Subnetting
- Lesson 4: Configuring TCP/IP
- Lesson 5: Overview of DHCP
- Lesson 6: Configuring DHCP
- Lesson 7: Managing DHCP
- Lesson 8: Name Resolution
- Lesson 9: DNS Installation and Configuration
- Lesson 10: Managing DNS Zones
- Lesson 11: Introduction to IPv6
- Summary 00:01:32
- Title: Microsoft Windows Server Networking
- Release date: November 2015
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: 9780133949476