Viadeo is the #1 professional social network in France with over 9 million members. Founded in 2005, the company grew its business using traditional infrastructure (about 250 servers hosted in the US).
However, a number of challenges started to rise in 2014:
- Can the agility of our infrastructure match our software agility?
- In particular, how can we efficiently scale our data storage and processing capabilities?
- How can we build a better disaster recovery plan?
- How can we globally optimize our infrastructure spend?
After a thorough study, Viadeo decided in early 2015 to migrate 100% of its physical infrastructure to Amazon Web Services.
This presentation will cover:
- the thought process that led to this unconventional move (for an established company like Viadeo),
- our design options and trade-offs, focusing on delivery speed and risk avoidance,
- why we did or didn’t alter parts of our stack, especially on the backend side (MySQL, ElasticSearch, HBase, Hadoop),
- the complete automation and testing of our infrastructure build, aka “infrastructure as code” using AWS CloudFormation, Puppet, and continuous integration
- and more!
- Title: Migrating to public cloud: How Viadeo made the leap
- Release date: May 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 0636920458876
You might also like
How Ticketmaster transitioned to DevOps hybrid cloud
Heather Osborn explains how Ticketmaster moved from a siloed on-premises environment to a DevOps hybrid cloud. …
Meet the Expert: Lee Atchison on the Cloud Mistakes You Didn't Know You Were About to Make
Did you think moving to the cloud would be easy? You’re not alone. Countless CTOs admit …
Spotlight on Cloud: Moving to the Cloud—What Your Company Needs to Know with David Linthicum
Companies are spending a lot of time and money migrating applications and data to the cloud—in …
Migrating Spotify's runtime to Kubernetes
Spotify recently completed the migration of all services from running on bare-metal hardware to hosts in …