Viadeo is the #1 professional social network in France with over 9 million members. Founded in 2005, the company grew its business using traditional infrastructure (about 250 servers hosted in the US).
However, a number of challenges started to rise in 2014:
- Can the agility of our infrastructure match our software agility?
- In particular, how can we efficiently scale our data storage and processing capabilities?
- How can we build a better disaster recovery plan?
- How can we globally optimize our infrastructure spend?
After a thorough study, Viadeo decided in early 2015 to migrate 100% of its physical infrastructure to Amazon Web Services.
This presentation will cover:
- the thought process that led to this unconventional move (for an established company like Viadeo),
- our design options and trade-offs, focusing on delivery speed and risk avoidance,
- why we did or didn’t alter parts of our stack, especially on the backend side (MySQL, ElasticSearch, HBase, Hadoop),
- the complete automation and testing of our infrastructure build, aka “infrastructure as code” using AWS CloudFormation, Puppet, and continuous integration
- and more!
Table of contents
- Title: Migrating to public cloud: How Viadeo made the leap
- Release date: May 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 0636920458876
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
Programming Skills for Data Science: Start Writing Code to Wrangle, Analyze, and Visualize Data with R, First Edition
The Foundational Hands-On Skills You Need to Dive into Data Science “Freeman and Ross have created …
Infrastructure as Code, 2nd Edition
Just five years ago, infrastructure as code was a new concept for many companies. Today, even …