As the name implies, cable testers test cables. But before we can talk about cable testers, we have to determine what makes a cable bad. When troubleshooting cables, ask the following questions:
• How long is this cable?
• Is it over its rated length?
• Are any of the wires broken?
• If there is a break, where is it?
• Are any of the wires shorted together?
• Are any of the wires not in the correct order?
• Is there too much electrical or radio interference from external components?
Cable testers are designed to answer some or all of these questions, depending on the amount of money you are willing to pay. The low end of the cable-tester market consists of devices that test only for broken wires; these ...