Learn how educators are using Minecraft® as a powerful
instructional tool to engage students and teach subjects as varied
as math and humanities.
This book offers ten classroom projects from teachers using Minecraft® to teach math, science, languages, and more. Each project includes learning objectives, project organization and tasks, and ideas for reflection and assessments.
You’ll also find detailed instructions for setting up and running a Minecraft® server in the classroom, both the regular and the popular MinecraftEdu versions.
In this book, you’ll discover
What Minecraft® is and why it’s such an engaging tool for the classroom.
How to set up and administer servers that students use for their projects.
What MinecraftEdu is, how to set up and manage it, and how to use its teacher controls.
Techniques for using the game in special-education settings.
Step-by-step instructions for printing 3D models of your classroom projects.
Ways to use the game in a variety of different subject areas.
You’ll find essential advice and captivating projects for using Minecraft® to enhance students’ learning experience from educators using Minecraft® in the Classroom: Shane Asselstine, Dan Bloom, André Chercka, Adam Clarke, Stephen Elford, Colin Gallagher, David Lee, John Miller, Eric Walker, and James York.
Minecraft® is a trademark of Mojang Synergies/Notch Development AB. This book is not affiliated with or sponsored by Mojang Synergies/Notch Development AB.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
Part 1: Minecraft in Education: The Basics
- 1. What Is Minecraft?
- 2. Working with MinecraftEdu
- 3. Working with Regular Minecraft
- 4. Minecraft in Education—Why?
Part 2: Minecraft Classroom Projects
- 5. Teaching with Minecraft Pocket Edition
- 6.1. Minecraft and Teaching Humanities
- 6.2. Minecraft and Teaching Humanities
- 7.1. Minecraft and Teaching Science
- 7.2. Minecraft and Teaching Science
- 8.1. Minecraft and Teaching Math
- 8.2. Minecraft and Teaching Math
- 9. Minecraft and Language Learning
- 10. Minecraft in Transdisciplinary Learning
- 11. Minecraft and Special Educational Needs
Part 3: Minecraft—Where Next?
- 12. Minecraft in Education—the Future
- 13. Minecraft and 3D Printing
- Title: Minecraft in the Classroom: Ideas, inspiration, and student projects for teachers
- Release date: October 2014
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780133991048