Chapter 11. Using Optional as a better alternative to null
This chapter covers
- What’s wrong with null references and why you should avoid them
- From null to Optional: rewriting your domain model in a null-safe way
- Putting optionals to work: removing null checks from your code
- Different ways to read the value possibly contained in an optional
- Rethinking programming given potentially missing values
Raise your hand if you ever got a NullPointerException during your life as a Java developer. Keep it up if this Exception is the one you encounter most frequently. Unfortunately, we can’t see you at this moment, but we believe that there’s a high probability that your hand is raised now. We also guess that you may be thinking something like “Yes, ...