Learn the fundamentals of x86 Single instruction multiple data (SIMD) programming using C++ intrinsic functions and x86-64 assembly language. This book emphasizes x86 SIMD programming topics and technologies that are relevant to modern software development in applications which can exploit data level parallelism, important for the processing of big data, large batches of data and related important in data science and much more.
Modern Parallel Programming with C++ and Assembly Language is an instructional text that explains x86 SIMD programming using both C++ and assembly language. The book’s content and organization are designed to help you quickly understand and exploit the SIMD capabilities of x86 processors. It also contains an abundance of source code that is structured to accelerate learning and comprehension of essential SIMD programming concepts and algorithms.
After reading this book, you will be able to code performance-optimized AVX, AVX2, and AVX-512 algorithms using either C++ intrinsic functions or x86-64 assembly language.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the essential details about x86 SIMD architectures and instruction sets including AVX, AVX2, and AVX-512.
- Master x86 SIMD data types, arithmetic instructions, and data management operations using both integer and floating-point operands.
- Code performance-enhancing functions and algorithms that fully exploit the SIMD capabilities of a modern x86 processor.
- Employ C++ intrinsic functions and x86-64 assembly language code to carry out arithmetic calculations using common programming constructs including arrays, matrices, and user-defined data structures.
- Harness the x86 SIMD instruction sets to significantly accelerate the performance of computationally intense algorithms in applications such as machine learning, image processing, computer graphics, statistics, and matrix arithmetic.
- Apply leading-edge coding strategies and techniques to optimally exploit the x86 SIMD instruction sets for maximum possible performance.
Who This Book Is ForIntermediate to advanced programmers/developers in general. Readers of this book should have previous programming experience with modern C++ (i.e., ANSI C++11 or later) and Assembly. Some familiarity with Microsoft’s Visual Studio or the GNU toolchain will be helpful. The target audience for Modern X86 SIMD Programming are experienced software developers, programmers and maybe some hobbyists.
Table of contents
- Front Matter
- 1. SIMD Fundamentals
- 2. AVX C++ Programming: Part 1
- 3. AVX C++ Programming: Part 2
- 4. AVX2 C++ Programming: Part 1
- 5. AVX2 C++ Programming: Part 2
- 6. AVX2 C++ Programming: Part 3
- 7. AVX-512 C++ Programming: Part 1
- 8. AVX-512 C++ Programming: Part 2
- 9. Supplemental C++ SIMD Programming
- 10. X86-64 Processor Architecture
- 11. Core Assembly Language Programming: Part 1
- 12. Core Assembly Language Programming: Part 2
- 13. AVX Assembly Language Programming: Part 1
- 14. AVX Assembly Language Programming: Part 2
- 15. AVX2 Assembly Language Programming: Part 1
- 16. AVX2 Assembly Language Programming: Part 2
- 17. AVX-512 Assembly Language Programming: Part 1
- 18. AVX-512 Assembly Language Programming: Part 2
- 19. SIMD Usage and Optimization Guidelines
- Back Matter
- Title: Modern Parallel Programming with C++ and Assembly Language: X86 SIMD Development Using AVX, AVX2, and AVX-512
- Release date: March 2022
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484279182
You might also like
Designing Autonomous AI
Early rules-based artificial intelligence demonstrated intriguing decision-making capabilities but lacked perception and didn't learn. AI today, …
Inside Deep Learning
Journey through the theory and practice of modern deep learning, and apply innovative techniques to solve …
Programming with 64-Bit ARM Assembly Language: Single Board Computer Development for Raspberry Pi and Mobile Devices
Mastering ARM hardware architecture opens a world of programming for nearly all phones and tablets including …
Learning Modern Linux
If you use Linux in development or operations and need a structured approach to help you …