As a .NET developer, you’re constantly asked to build relevant and resilient software that can run anywhere. That alone is a tall order. But you’re also asked to upgrade existing .NET software to unlock new value. This practical ebook shows .NET developers and architects how to improve the most impactful parts of your existing codebase and build a sustainable process for refining your entire .NET app portfolio.
Richard Seroter, senior director of product for Pivotal, explains how to responsibly modernize .NET apps so that you can consolidate your environments, add new functionality, upgrade and patch your dependencies, and automate parts of the delivery cycle.
- Understand the modern demands of a .NET software developer
- Learn how to choose between .NET Core and the .NET Framework
- Understand why cloud native development has become a go-to option for companies undergoing modernization
- Discover what you need to unlearn in light of patterns and anti-patterns in new development paradigms
- Explore the components you may want to consider to achieve agility, scalability, and velocity
- Determine where you want to run different .NET application types
- Learn proven modernization strategies for decomposing monoliths, upgrading your architecture, and more
Table of Contents
- Preface: The .NET Renaissance
- 1. Why App Modernization Matters
2. What You Have Running Right Now
- You Have Many Different .NET Project Types
- You Have Lots of Windows-Specific Hooks in Your .NET Software
- You Have Stale Environments That Aren’t Regularly Updated
- You Have Monolithic Architectures and Complex Deployments
- You Have Apps Without Deployment Pipelines
- You Have Apps That Aren’t Ready for Higher-Order Cloud Runtimes
- 3. The .NET Software You’re Asked to Create
- 4. What Does Cloud Native Look Like?
- 5. Choosing Between .NET Framework and .NET Core
- 6. The New .NET Antipatterns
- 7. New Components for Your Modernized .NET Applications
- 8. Where to Run Your Modern .NET Applications
- 9. Applying Proven Modernization Recipes
- 10. Your Call to Action
- Title: Modernizing .NET Applications
- Release date: December 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492043591