Stop paying for Windows software! There are free alternatives that are just as good . . . even better!
In Moving to Free Software, world-renowned open source software expert Marcel Gagne tours the little-known world of free Windows software, uncovering today's best packages for everything you'll ever want to do with your PC! You'll discover amazing tools for everything from Web browsing to instant messaging, office productivity to gaming, and even Windows security. You won't see this software advertised in fancy magazines, or on TV . . . it's the best kept secret in computing!
Surf the Web safer, faster, and smarter with Firefox
Get free Spam filtering and advanced email security with Thunderbird
Discover OpenOffice.org 2.0, today's super-powered office productivity suite
Get free instant messaging that talks to AOL, ICQ, Yahoo!, and MSN
Make free calls anywhere on Earth, with Skype
Create podcasts (and more) with Audacity . . . or download podcasts with Juice
Build your own Web site with NVU
Create and edit digital art with Inkscape and The GIMP
Protect your Windows computer with Spybot and ClamWin
Discover great free games, including Flightgear, the better flight simulator
There's more--from handy utilities like CD Ripper to pro-quality desktop publishing software for all your newsletters and brochures. This book gives you software the way it's supposed to be--powerful, friendly, and free!
Table of contents
- 1. Introduction to Free Software
- 2. Surfing the Web with Firefox
- 3. Thunderbird: A Safer Email Client
- 4. Gaim: Multiprotocol Instant Messaging, and IRC, Too!
5. Skype: Free Long Distance, Anyone?
- Creating a Skype Account
- “Is this thing working?” Testing Your Connection
- Search Me! Adding Friends to Your Contact List
- Come Here, Watson! Making Calls on Skype
- SkypeOut and SkypeIn
- Face to Face with Skype: Using a Webcam
- Getting a Little Privacy
6. Creating Documents with OpenOffice.org Writer (It Was a Dark and Stormy Night . . .)
- OpenOffice.org Writer
- Write Now!
- To Word or Not to Word?
- Personalizing Your Environment
- A Wizard of Words
- Navigating Style
- Speaking of Document Elements...
- More! Give Me More!
- 7. Using OpenOffice.org Calc for Spreadsheets (Tables You Can Count On)
- 8. Presentations with OpenOffice.org Impress (When You Need to Impress Someone)
- 9. Personal Databases: OpenOffice.org Base
- 10. CDex: An All-Purpose CD Ripper and Audio Converter
- 11. Audio Magic with Audacity
- 12. The Juice: A Podcast Aggregator
- 13. Nvu: A Graphical Web Site Design Tool
14. Inkscape: A Vector Drawing Program
- A Friendly Introduction
- Drawing Tools
- Fill and Stroke Genius
- Drawing Tools, Part Deux
- The Full Meal Deal
- Saving Your Work
- 15. Digital Art with the GIMP
- 16. 7-Zip Is Decompression Heaven
- 17. Spybot: Protecting You from Spyware
- 18. ClamWin: Free Antivirus Protection
- 19. Scribus: Free Desktop Publishing
- 20. Endless Free Fun and Games
- 21. The Ultimate Free Software: Linux
- Title: Moving to Free Software
- Release date: December 2006
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780321423436
You might also like
Head First Java, 2nd Edition
Learning a complex new language is no easy task especially when it s an object-oriented computer …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …