Connects fundamental knowledge of multivalent interactions with current practice and state-of-the-art applications
Multivalency is a widespread phenomenon, with applications spanning supramolecular chemistry, materials chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry and biochemistry. This advanced textbook provides students and junior scientists with an excellent introduction to the fundamentals of multivalent interactions, whilst expanding the knowledge of experienced researchers in the field.
Multivalency: Concepts, Research & Applications is divided into three parts. Part one provides background knowledge on various aspects of multivalency and cooperativity and presents practical methods for their study. Fundamental aspects such as thermodynamics, kinetics and the principle of effective molarity are described, and characterisation methods, experimental methodologies and data treatment methods are also discussed. Parts two and three provide an overview of current systems in which multivalency plays an important role in chemistry and biology, with a focus on the design rules, underlying chemistry and the fundamental principles of multivalency. The systems covered range from chemical/materials-based ones such as dendrimers and sensors, to biological systems including cell recognition and protein binding. Examples and case studies from biochemistry/bioorganic chemistry as well as synthetic systems feature throughout the book.
- Introduces students and young scientists to the field of multivalent interactions and assists experienced researchers utilising the methodologies in their work
- Features examples and case studies from biochemistry/bioorganic chemistry, as well as synthetic systems throughout the book
- Edited by leading experts in the field with contributions from established scientists
Multivalency: Concepts, Research & Applications is recommended for graduate students and junior scientists in supramolecular chemistry and related fields, looking for an introduction to multivalent interactions. It is also highly useful to experienced academics and scientists in industry working on research relating to multivalent and cooperative systems in supramolecular chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry, materials science and nanotechnology.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- List of Contributors
Part 1: General Introduction to Multivalent Interactions
- 1 Additivity of Energy Contributions in Multivalent Complexes
- 2 Models and Methods in Multivalent Systems
3 Design Principles for Super Selectivity using Multivalent Interactions
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Super Selectivity: An Emergent Property of Multivalency
- 3.3 Multivalent Polymer Adsorption
- 3.4 Which Systems are Super Selective?
- 3.5 Design Principles for Super‐Selective Targeting
- 3.6 Summary: It is interesting, but is it useful?
- Appendix 3.A: What Is Effective Molarity?
- 4 Multivalency in Biosystems
Part 2: Multivalent Systems in Chemistry
- 5 Multivalency in Cyclodextrin/Polymer Systems
- 6 Cucurbit[n]uril‐Mediated Multiple Interactions
- 7 Multivalency as a Design Criterion in Catalyst Development
- 8 Multivalent Molecular Recognition on the Surface of Bilayer Vesicles
Part 3: Multivalent Systems in Biology
- 9 Blocking Pathogens by Multivalent Inhibitors
- 10 Multivalent Protein Recognition Using Synthetic Receptors
- 11 Multivalent Calixarenes for the Targeting of Biomacromolecules
- 12 Cucurbit[n]uril Assemblies for Biomolecular Applications
- 13 Multivalent Lectin–Glycan Interactions in the Immune System
- 14 Blocking Disease Linked Lectins with Multivalent Carbohydrates
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Multivalency
- Release date: February 2018
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119143468
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
The Intelligent Investor, Rev. Ed
More than one million hardcovers sold Now available for the first time in paperback! The Classic …
Calculus Essentials For Dummies
Calculus Essentials For Dummies (9781119591207) was previously published as Calculus Essentials For Dummies (9780470618356). While this …